How to archive video of motion alerts?

signal9

n3wb
Reaction score
I am doing continuous recording with a bunch of cameras as it is important to be able to go back in case the motion detection missed something. However, I have the motion settings dialed in pretty well and, for most of my cameras, there is motion for only a few minutes per day.

Right now old clips are being deleted after a couple of weeks when space runs out on the HDD. But it would be really nice if I could archive the videos of motion alerts and save them in a separate folder. If I allocate 5% of my hard drive for these clips, I could have motion clips going back for months, just in case an older clip is needed, while hardly reducing the amount of time that continuous recording can store.

I think I can do this by creating two cameras in BI for each physical camera and having one of the cameras just record the motion alerts. But this seems a little clunky and I'm wondering if I've missed something, is there a better way of doing this in BI? Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am doing continuous recording with a bunch of cameras as it is important to be able to go back in case the motion detection missed something. However, I have the motion settings dialed in pretty well and, for most of my cameras, there is motion for only a few minutes per day.

Right now old clips are being deleted after a couple of weeks when space runs out on the HDD. But it would be really nice if I could archive the videos of motion alerts and save them in a separate folder. If I allocate 5% of my hard drive for these clips, I could have motion clips going back for months, just in case an older clip is needed, while hardly reducing the amount of time that continuous recording can store.

I think I can do this by creating two cameras in BI for each physical camera and having one of the cameras just record the motion alerts. But this seems a little clunky and I'm wondering if I've missed something, is there a better way of doing this in BI? Thanks.
Nope.