How to block access to Reolink Wifi cameras from outside of home network?

Magician

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello experts, need your help.

I have 3 Reolink RLC-410WS cameras connected via wifi. I'm happy with the features and functionality. I have enabled SSL, however, unable to figure out how to disable accessing them from outside. For example, right now I'm able to launch Reolink app on my iPhone that is connected to LTE (not Wifi at home), yet I can stream video from my cameras. I don't want this to be possible, I would like to VPN to home network first, then be able to access cameras.

Despite searching on the management settings and on the web, I was unable to accomplish this. Somehow Reolink is dialing its mothership and making itself available for such connections directly on the Internet (perhaps UPnP? -- I have disabled UPnP on camera network settings yet still this continues to be possible). It's password protected and SSL; but I still don't want this to be possible.

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are a number of ways to do this but I can't speak to the Reolink camera itself.

1. You could explicitly block the camera from reaching out to the Internet via your router. Most routers have a method of blocking services.
2. Turn off UPNP in your router to disable the camera (or other devices) from automatically configuring port forwarding in your router.
3. Turn off UPNP in the camera (if it has such a setting) assuming you are not turning it off in the router (which you should).

Essentially if you block outbound traffic from the cameras IP in your router, AND have no port forwarding to the camera, you will be blocking it both ways.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello experts, need your help.

I have 3 Reolink RLC-410WS cameras connected via wifi. I'm happy with the features and functionality. I have enabled SSL, however, unable to figure out how to disable accessing them from outside. For example, right now I'm able to launch Reolink app on my iPhone that is connected to LTE (not Wifi at home), yet I can stream video from my cameras.
Despite searching on the management settings and on the web, I was unable to accomplish this. Somehow Reolink is dialing its mothership and making itself available for such connections directly on the Internet but I still don't want this to be possible.
Did you set up P2P (Peer-to-Peer) as mentioned ==>> here ? If so, you need to disable that.

Magician

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you SantiagoDraco -- message 18 on this thread helped me figure it out how to block it at the individual IP address level on the Netgear R8500 router - Blocking device based on time schedule - Page 3 - NETGEAR Communities

Thank you TonyR - I wasn't aware of the terminology there, but indeed I had it setup using UID (scan the barcode using phone app); now that I blocked it at the router level, I checked and I'm unable to reach it via LTE network/outside; so problem solved. Will keep UID/P2P enabled in case I lose access to them (bad fw upgrade etc), then I'm hoping flipping the router access block back on would allow me to access it for troubleshooting.

I really appreciate the fast responses -- my issue is resolved.