How to check what lens mm camera is suitable?

sunny0101786

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Main door entrance camera what lens is better. Maximum coverage 40 to 50 feet area. My door is a bit deeper in walls in front of the door. Walls are white. IR light during the night can create high brightness I guess which can be problematic. I think 4k full colour camera would work better. Please check attached image of my camera location.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind full color cameras are not magic and still need light, so if you don't have visible light at night, the camera will be blind. You cannot add infrared later as it can't see it.

What is your goal - to IDENTIFY people at the door or 40-50 feet out - one camera cannot be the be all see all. At the door is one camera, 50 feet out is a different camera.

And at 40-50 feet, a 4K camera will not IDENTIFY. You need an optical length of about 34mm and an ideal 4K camera does not come in that.

Our long time resident camera expert Wildcat ran the Dahua 4K/X 8MP 1/1.2" sensor thru the paces. Keep in mind this 4K/X camera is incredible.

He had the 3.6mm version and here is the screenshot from 40 feet in the ideal daylight and standing still, which based on DORI numbers is the supposed IDENTIFY distance for this camera with the 3.6mm lens and I think most of would agree that this is not IDENTIFY quality, even if digitally zoomed in:

1663106750107.png

I have the 4K/X and 4K/T and they are incredible cameras, but I wouldn't use it for IDENTIFY past 15-20 feet, or half of what the DORI number is.