How to clone a single camera stream multiple times (for hardware testing).

Staff Curtis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How can I clone one camera stream multiple times to test my blue iris hardware? I would like to see how many cameras my system will take based on different camera configs before it bogs down. It would be much easier to just use one camera, and have blue iris decode the same stream multiple times.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once you clone a camera, it isn't the same as adding another camera as BI uses that one feed multiple times, so it isn't a CPU user and wouldn't accomplish your test of hardware.

You would need to just keep adding the same camera over and over again without one being a clone master. Make sure than none of the name show an * as that indicates it is a clone and is not pulling another video stream.

Staff Curtis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried duplicating the cameras without either being the clone master, and they both just use one stream. I know there's a way to trick blue iris into processing the one stream as multiples.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If that is the case how do so many accidentally have the stream being pulled twice with the same login and no clone going even though they thought they did?

Is this a recent change?

Staff Curtis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a recent change or not. If you add another camera identically in Blue Iris with no changes, it will not add another bitrate (just like a cloned camera). When you make no other changes to a new camera except a different login, it adds a second bitrate. You can also confirm in windows task manager as the LAN bitrate doubles only when you add the new login.

Last edited: