How to control when a camera is steaming video and disable when alarm is not armed

zita212

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to buy a few Hikvision or Dahua dome cameras to install inside home. The cameras will be connected to an Ubiquiti ES8-150 POE switch. Unlike the outside cameras I would like to control when those cameras are recording, for privacy reasons, only when we are not home and when we activate the alarm system. I have a posibility from the alarm system to automatically SSH to the switch and cut POE power to the camera every time I am disabling the alarm but I am not sure if this will not in time damage / corrupt the flash of the camera.
I was wondering if there is a more graceful method perhaps a SSH command to the camera to disable the video stream when the alarm is disabled, any suggestion ?

Reaction score
Home Assistant, Node-Red, MQTT would be an option. My DSC alarm system can talk to Home Assistant. My Blue Iris can talk to Home Assistant. Happy times.
Geofencing is another option to change profiles when smartphones are home or away (would have to research here on IPCT if viable or not).
Never dealt with SSH much yet (I will eventually) so can not offer advice on do's/dont's.