How to downgrade firmware on a NVR5216-4ks2

Wolle2018

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Everybody!

Perhaps someone could help me ?

I have a DAHUA NVR5216-4ks2 (about 2 1/2 years old, latest version). I have recently upgraded the firmware from 4.001.0000007.1 dated 210827 to 4.002.0000000.5 dated 220729 thru its webinterface.

After that upgrade everything still works fine except that the external alarm input of all my cams (DAHUA, different models, 1-3 years old) is lost in the configuration as soon as one makes at least two reboots (thru webinterface) or switches the power to the NVR off and on again. Because a power loss could always happen any time and because one may not be aware of such problem (or cannot fix it immediately), this causes a problem here at our house because we are using external motion detection sensors to let the cams start a record when such external motion detector detects an intruder..

When trying to load an older firmware, the firmware "upgrade" process always stops at around 50% no matter which (older) firmware I tried (actually I tried a dozen...). With the firmware 4.001.0000007.1 such loss of configuration never happened. Alle the other configurations (linked with the latest firmware) are kept, not lost.

I have tried all standard ways to load the (former) firmware: USB-stick, SMARTPSS, ConfigTool, Webpage. No difference in behaviour.

I am now trying to use the rs-232-port of my computer in conjunction with a null-modem cable and a TFTP-server and PuTTY (or alike) to load the older firmware. I found a description called "TFTP upgrade instructor.pdf" but that instruction (seems to be from DAHUA several years ago) refers to a file named "armboot-x.bin.img" contained inside the typical .bin-file. However, among others, I only find a file named "u-boot.bin.img" . If I understood the issue correctly may one have to rename the file in order to make it work. But which file to take and which name to give?

Another question, among others, is how to read the content of the file named "install.lua" - it seems that inside this file there are references to files to be used in the process (hopefully I did not misunderstand...).

Anyhow, is there someone how ever had succeeded to DOWNGRADE the firmware for this NVR-model, from 4.002.xxxxxxxx to 4.001.yyyyyyyy
If yes, I would very very much appreciate to get a very detailed description.

I am not sure whether I made something wrong with the UPGRADE described above or whether the firmware has a kind of bug or whether my NVR-hardware accidentally got a defect.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do a search here....many times an update screws something up that you had working.

Philosophy around here is not to update unless you know from the release notes that is is fixing a problem you have. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Daily threads here of someone updating and then bricking unit or losing a feature they were using.

If the release notes are blank or don't mention a fix for a problem you have, resist the urge to update for the sake of updating.

Wolle2018

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do a search here....many times an update screws something up that you had working.

Philosophy around here is not to update unless you know from the release notes that is is fixing a problem you have. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Daily threads here of someone updating and then bricking unit or losing a feature they were using.

If the release notes are blank or don't mention a fix for a problem you have, resist the urge to update for the sake of updating.
I now know this.....and I should have known it before....