How to make "any" camera wifi capable?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of threads where people are looking for wifi cameras and just wanted to share what I have been doing in the past to for some of my cameras.

There are a few options of doings this. Either use powerline (generally too expensive) or use another access point. Most non wifi cams support POE (Hikvision is unique where it offers both for some cams), so you just need couple of things which are just under $25:

1. POE plug $(7) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-Ethernet-Adapter-IP-Phone-Camera-Power-Supply-US-/400942535882?hash=item5d5a0994ca&rmvSB=true)

2. Mini router. ($18) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007PTCFFW/ref=nosim/ipctk-20

Couple of short cables for ethernet and usb also help, hook it up, configure the mini router* and this is what you will end up with:

The power (lan) cable can be made any length so it makes it easy to route it and hide the bulky part out of the view if needed

* This router could be configured as wireless bridge or access point. I have dd-wrt installed on mine that gives me additional options, but it's not required.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of those TPLink units. One to make my old HP4100n wireless, the other as my travel/hotel router. Love them!

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^It doesn't seem like they sell it separately. Would be a neat unit.

I gotta get me one of those TP-Link mini routers, they're bloody 30 aussie dollars.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I swear dd-wrt goes on almost anything. Sometimes it acts a bit funny on certain devices but they work.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice write-up. I do prefer the cameras with external antennas so I can play with them.

You could also use a 12V power supply. Many Wifi cameras (I've seen for sale) come with them bundled. So all you need is the TP-LINK (and an elastic band!)

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If that POE 'injector' had a USB port you could remove that extra adapter.

You could probably solder on a Reverse-SMA connector for the wifi antenna if you really wanted to.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could probably solder on a Reverse-SMA connector for the wifi antenna if you really wanted to.
Done this before with a router. The problem is getting a good fit for the antenna connector of the aerial. The plastic you drill a hole in doesn't like the weight usually! Worked though :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Please post links to what you think will work better. I only had these handy.