How to make BI run as service before login

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cross post from https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10212-BI-not-recording-after-power-loss-services-running

Not much action there.

So I did a test and wanted to make sure BI was in fact recording motion in the event of a power failure after the PC reboots itself. Nada... I pulled the power from the PC waited a minute and connected the power cord back up (simulating power failure). Once back to the log in screen I went and made some obscene gestures at my camera, then logged into the machine. Not only was there not a recording but I didn't have any signal from my cameras. I could log directly into them but BI no dice. I did a system restart (gently) and back to the login screen I made more obscene gestures but worse in nature this time. Logged into my machine and BI had signal from the cameras but still no recording.

This has confused me from the beginning because I know of other services that do not run when not logged in but was under the impression this did run (was told so)??? Maybe, perhaps not. I'm still running the demo mode simply for that reason.

hy2rogen

n3wb
Reaction score
How long are you waiting after the computer starts before testing the cameras? For me it takes approximately 1-2 minutes after the computer starts for BI to pick up the camera feeds again. Remember that the cameras are staying on and transmitting even though you shutdown the computer.

I would check services.msc to see if the BlueIris service is running. Additional look at your eventviewer log to see any issues on start up.

What hardware/software config are you using?

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wait long enough so I can RDP into the PC which all other services should be running as well. I can't look at services.msc without logging in first which logging in starts BI service. I haven't checked the event viewer log but will do so. I haven't had problems with anything else though.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember that the cameras are staying on and transmitting even though you shutdown the computer.
Incorrect (if they are IP cameras). IP cameras only send video when something wants to receive it, with very few exceptions.

I wait long enough so I can RDP into the PC which all other services should be running as well. I can't look at services.msc without logging in first which logging in starts BI service. I haven't checked the event viewer log but will do so. I haven't had problems with anything else though.
Try accessing Blue Iris's web interface to see if it has loaded. Your PC has a lot of services to start and Blue Iris may not be the first to load.

If your Blue Iris service is set to Automatic in the services control panel then it should be starting just fine before you log in.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Incorrect (if they are IP cameras). IP cameras only send video when something wants to receive it, with very few exceptions.

Try accessing Blue Iris's web interface to see if it has loaded. Your PC has a lot of services to start and Blue Iris may not be the first to load.

If your Blue Iris service is set to Automatic in the services control panel then it should be starting just fine before you log in.
Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 4.27.54 PM.png

Is this what you're referring to?

How do I access the web interface with no active login on the PC?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 9889

Is this what you're referring to?

How do I access the web interface with no active login on the PC?
No, I was talking about services.msc (this is where you should see Blue Iris Service with Startup Type Automatic.

To access the web interface, connect from another computer or a smartphone to the IP address of your Blue Iris server. If it is running on a port besides 80, you will need to include the port number after a colon after the host name, like this:

http://192.168.0.10:81/

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahhh Ok, BI is starting up. I can connect via BI web interface after power failure simulation but BI is reporting no signal from the cameras. I shut and no shut the port on my switch and the camera signal comes alive.

So now I'm left with, are the camera's the problem (which never lost power), BI or something else.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will reply to my reply. I only shutdown one port one my switch but after taking time to post my reply, then logging back into BI, BI now sees all cameras.

rightkick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd venture to say it's the cameras. Why? Because their software is the weakest link in the whole system. That's just a guess though.

The web interface in great too!