how to mount cams to drop ceiling?

tung256

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if i screw into the tile, the cam's weight will instantly bring the cam down. i have been screwing into a a 2x2 inches cut of vinyl planks and those work too!
is there anything better and easier?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I typically use a square of 3/8-ish inch plywood to screw in to as well as disperse the weight a bit.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Anything beyond mini-dome/wedge cams, I start looking at brackets that attach to the tile tracks and/or use support cables to support the weight

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I like to use the Arlington CAM-BOX, they work great and they look good too, ~$15.
You need a 4" hole saw and by code you need to use the wire to tie the box/camera to a ceiling tie down in case the ceiling tile gets wet and falls.

ARL-FLC430-2.jpg
20220323_150623.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the Arlington Cam-Box™ FLC-430 suggested by @jmcu is a great idea. FWIW, i found a YT video at the bottom of this post that provides info on how to install, the size of the box, ring, etc.

My only suggestion regarding the video is that the installer should wear a particulate mask when drilling/handling the ceiling tile; I know that even Amstrong tiles made in the last 25 years don't contain asbestos BUT.....the man-made fire-resistant materials in the tile are VERY small and instructions say to wear a mask, don't smoke while handling (the particles are small enough to attach to smoke particles apparently) and to wash your hands when you're done drilling/handling the tiles.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The pelco analog cameras had a similar flush mount bracket like that which included the seismic bracing cabling

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Great Suggestions by all, If you are doing it Commercially, Check your local codes, I had to put safety chains or wires on drop ceiling mounts, reason being was in case of a fire sprinkler going off near it and turning the drop ceiling to mush and falling on somebody's head.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great Suggestions by all, If you are doing it Commercially, Check your local codes, I had to put safety chains or wires on drop ceiling mounts, reason being was in case of a fire sprinkler going off near it and turning the drop ceiling to mush and falling on somebody's head.
As also mentioned by @jmcu and VERY important, IMO. :cool: