How to reboot computer with active recordings in process?

Roger Penn

n3wb
Reaction score
Sometimes Blue Iris will simply stop detecting motion on one or more cameras even though it's as plain as day. When that happens, I usually have to reboot the computer to fix the problem. I'm wondering how active recordings are handled in that case? Should I manually stop them all before shutting down to prevent the open video files from being corrupted? Or does the .bvr format not need to be properly closed? Or does it buffer and append the files in discreet chunks? In short, what's the best practice for closing BI down prior to rebooting or is it necessary at all?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes Blue Iris will simply stop detecting motion on one or more cameras even though it's as plain as day. When that happens, I usually have to reboot the computer to fix the problem. I'm wondering how active recordings are handled in that case? Should I manually stop them all before shutting down to prevent the open video files from being corrupted? Or does the .bvr format not need to be properly closed? Or does it buffer and append the files in discreet chunks? In short, what's the best practice for closing BI down prior to rebooting or is it necessary at all?
nah....even a loss of power will unlikely corrupt a bvr file. You're fine rebooting even if you don't shut down BI first.

The bigger question is why is this happening. Simply rebooting isn't necessarily fixing your problem. In short....you got a problem bud. You need to fix it. :)

Roger Penn

n3wb
Reaction score
nah....even a loss of power will unlikely corrupt a bvr file. You're fine rebooting even if you don't shut down BI first.

The bigger question is why is this happening. Simply rebooting isn't necessarily fixing your problem. In short....you got a problem bud. You need to fix it. :)
Oh don't worry. I'm well aware of our problems and woefully inadequate hardware. Those issues are getting addressed. But in the meantime, we're limping along as best we can until we can upgrade it. For now just knowing that I can safely reboot if necessary without worrying about a proper BI shutdown is great. Thanks very much for confirming that. And it's not as though the motion detection issue is a daily thing. Maybe once a week. I've also gone through (this system was all set up way before my watch) and tweaked each camera's settings, the main system settings, and streamlined Windows, including turning off the eye candy and every other resource waste, and I've taken the average CPU load from 100% down to about 60%. So that's progress. Some better hardware and we should be fine. No matter what though, it's still Windows 10, and will have to be rebooted periodically. Thanks again!