How to remove / deactivate unused IP addresses

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I may not even need to do this, so advice on that would be good to hear also.
Using Advanced IP Scanner I noticed that I have 2 IP addresses that are still active but not being used.
They are the addresses that were assigned by DHCP when I first installed 2 cams over wifi.
When those were changed to a static address after running Cat5e, the IP's didn't go away.
They still show the MAC addresses of the 2 original cams that were once wifi.
Could this cause an issue ever or should I ignore them?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I may not even need to do this, so advice on that would be good to hear also.
Using Advanced IP Scanner I noticed that I have 2 IP addresses that are still active but not being used.
They are the addresses that were assigned by DHCP when I first installed 2 cams over wifi.
When those were changed to a static address after running Cat5e, the IP's didn't go away.
They still show the MAC addresses of the 2 original cams that were once wifi.
Could this cause an issue ever or should I ignore them?
One of the following can happen:
  • either your "lease time" in the DHCP server "times out", which means the DHCP server no longer associates that MAC address-IP address link. Then it's deleted automatically
  • either you (by accident) allocate (another) device to that IP address, by putting manually that IP address in. Nothing "severe" will happen (because even routing wise with ARP, packets will arrive properly). However the DHCP lease will eventually disappear and your 'fixed ip address" will still fall in your DHCP ip address range. Then fall automatically in the latter case:
  • once fixed IP fall into your DHCP ip address range, you run into issues. You do not want double IP addresses on your network. Never - ever. That's why people work with DHCP ranges (eg .100 till .199) and "reserved" ranges (eg .200 till .244), which leaves ample space for gateways, routers, servers etc.

Bottom-line: I'd leave these dhcp ip addresses time-out, this is working-as-designed - unless you got a ping-reply from them, which means some other devices got hold of an IP from your DHCP server.

Hope this helps!
CC