how to setup network on 2nd router

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have recently moved to a new place renting. The owner is providing internet and is ok with me setting up cameras outside. The router provided is connected to the owner's router. So my question is, can I setup blueiris with openvpn for remote viewing with this setup.? home network.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
:/
maybe if you use your router as an access Point. and if you can get into his router setup and see what parameters you need to set to use some kind of VPN....Or you could use email alerts, or something called " Pushover" notifications.
Some network guys will come along here shortly and have some more concrete ideas.

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have recently moved to a new place renting. The owner is providing internet and is ok with me setting up cameras outside. The router provided is connected to the owner's router. So my question is, can I setup blueiris with openvpn for remote viewing with this setup.?
Above solution is messy because you have double NATing.

I don't know if this idea will work but may be worth investigating -

See if the owner's router has a DMZ port. You can connect your router to that and that may effectively give your router internet connectivity on your WAN interface. It will also isolate your traffic from his.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Is 'your router' solely for the purposes of adding cameras to the location?

If you have a BI machine already, use the 2 network card (NIC) set-up if you have not done so already. One NIC connects to the owner's network, the 2nd NIC will be your camera network.

Edit: VPN connection will need to be set-up on owners router

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is 'your router' solely for the purposes of adding cameras to the location?

If you have a BI machine already, use the 2 network card (NIC) set-up if you have not done so already. One NIC connects to the owner's network, the 2nd NIC will be your camera network.

Edit: VPN connection will need to be set-up on owners router
oops, my diagram isn't that good. the owner's router serves their devices and my router serves my devices ( pc, phone, tablet, etc) an ISP-provided router. I have a BI machine from my previous residence, it's just not connected yet.
VPN set-up on the owners router? oh no, that's what I was afraid of.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
VPN set-up on the owners router? oh no, that's what I was afraid of.
Hang on.... If you have your own internet connection attached to the ISP provided router you speak of. The next step is to determine if the ISP provided router is capable of being a VPN server.

Personally, I would not trust an ISP provided router. I realize many of them are using a modem/router in one piece of hardware to push their 'connect from anywhere' agenda. I would look into disabling the router aspect of the appliance (oftern called bridge mode), and using my own router instead.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set your router to dhcp, then reserve that ip addres in the owner's router, then program the owner's router to DMZ that ip address. This bypasses the first nat firewall.

Another way of doing this, especially if the first network has bandwidth issues is to lease an ip address from their isp, then add an unmanaged Gb switch between the isp modem and their router, connect your router's WAN port into that switch, and program the static ip into the WAN settings in your router. Most cable isp don't use all the cable rf transceiver channels in a consumer modem connection.

jmltech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can also try zerotier on your devices and on your blueiris machine. You wont have to mess with the router ports and zerotier will figure out the best route to give you point to point. Zerotier is like a reverse vpn. On your device for remote viewing, you enable zero tier, then run the blueiris app for remote viewing. I’ve used it successfully on my friends system that has two routers for doing file backups offsite as well as starlink network. No issues so far. You can always remove it if you don’t like it or it doesn’t work for you. But the beauty of it is that you don’t have to touch router settings.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can also try zerotier on your devices and on your blueiris machine. You wont have to mess with the router ports and zerotier will figure out the best route to give you point to point. Zerotier is like a reverse vpn. On your device for remote viewing, you enable zero tier, then run the blueiris app for remote viewing. I’ve used it successfully on my friends system that has two routers for doing file backups offsite as well as starlink network. No issues so far. You can always remove it if you don’t like it or it doesn’t work for you. But the beauty of it is that you don’t have to touch router settings.
thanks, ill take a look at it.