How to setup second location to access and control Dahua NVR

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my home office I use a monitor and mouse connected directly to the NVR (a 4216-16P) to manage my CCTV system. It works well for my needs but I need to setup a second location about 10m away (in a separate room) to do the same thing. Can I somehow run a second monitor and second mouse in this second room to access and manage the CCTV system through the NVR?
Are there "double adaptor" type connectors that I can plug into the existing monitor and mouse terminals on the NVR that accepts two cables (one from each room)?
Apologies for the newbie questions so any guidance gratefully accepted.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Easiest would be to just use another desktop or laptop which is on the same network as the NVR and to log in to it using a browser and its IP address. If you want to (re)view footage I'd recommend SmartPSS.

There are active HDMI splitters available with which you could view it on two different monitors (they will both have the same image). If its not easy to get a bulky HDMI cable to the other room you could use a HDMI extender kit, these will send the HDMI signal over a CAT6 cable.

I'm not sure if it's possible to use a USB hub to connect more than one mouse, but that'd be easy to try.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does this work with PowerLan?
No.
It's a dedicated, "dry" CAT-5e/6 cable (not part of any network LAN, switch, router, etc.) from transmitter to receiver.
A furnished, 12VDC/1A power supply (wall wart) at the transmitter powers the receiver over the cable.

Last edited:

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am interested in achieving something similar.
Initially, I thought I'd like to see my cameras from any TV in the house.
It appears that HDMI over IP achieves this easily, but you don't get controls just vision.
So I was browsing yesterday, and this guy seems to be going in the right direction.
Maybe it'll point you to a solution.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
TonyR's HDMI KVM looks promising and yes, similar products are available in Australia, but I like the idea of using a spare laptop to access the network since that would save the cost of an extra monitor, mouse and cables.

Starting with the laptop/network approach ..... not successful. I patched a 2m ethernet cable between my spare laptop and the modem/router which has the NVR connected (to enable remote access to the NVR). The speed of access to the NVR via its web interface was pretty slow, both for my spare laptop and also my current new laptop. The router does the connecting between my laptop and the NVR so that may introduce some lag but surely not enough to cause the slow response I got.
I tried SmartPSS on my laptop instead of using the NVR web interface but that also was pretty slow. That is, slow in comparison to just using the NVR via mouse and monitor.

Can anyone confirm that a simple 5 port ethernet switch (not Poe and not managed) would improve the speed between my laptop and the NVR if the NVR, laptop and router were all connected to the one switch? Maybe one like this?... Buy TP-Link LiteWave 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch | Harvey Norman AU
(In other words the modem/router would no longer direct the traffic between the laptop and the NVR, only the switch would) ? I don't have a spare switch at present to try it - maybe someone here knows.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The switch portion (LAN ports) on some routers are not known for speed and bandwidth but it's worth a try....not sure if you'll perceive any gain but who knows?

Assign unique, static IP's to the NVR's LAN and the laptop, all in the same subnet as now BUT that are outside of the router's DHCP pool.
Run the NVR directly to the new switch and run the laptop directly to the new switch, run the new switch to the router.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought the switch as in my previous post May 9th and can confirm that the setup now functions very well using my spare laptop as described. It does seem the router is not suited to processing CCTV data so best to bypass it with a network switch.