How to trigger lpr camera from overview camera, in Blue Iris?

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to trigger my LPR camera (5241-z12e) when a vehicle is within the focus rectangle of the overview camera. The overview camera is perpendicular to the focal point of the LPR camera. Do I need IVS on the overview camera, or will simple motion detection work? What are the basic steps to setting this up in BI.5.4.6.3 I searched BI for "clone" but did not find what I was looking for. Is there a better term to search for?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can do IVS or BI Motion.

Go to the LPR camera and put it in a group all by itself, maybe call it LPR.

Go to the overview camera setting and configure the motion for the Zone you want, then under "When Triggered", select the camera group for the LPR. The screenshot below is if you were to trigger a preset for a PTZ, so simply leave that unchecked.

You can also set it up under the Alerts tab as well, but this one is the easiest.

1599697713661.png

Last edited:

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, wittaj,
it worked like a charm. By using Blue Iris motion detect zones, I can use several older HFW2325 's I had laying around for overview camaras, and put the money towards getting better LPR cameras when they come out. I'm a happy camper!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is awesome. Yeah the spotter cams feature is awesome.

I did a poor mans autotracking for awhile with a cheap PTZ camera and overview cams this way!

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is awesome. Yeah the spotter cams feature is awesome.

I did a poor mans autotracking for awhile with a cheap PTZ camera and overview cams this way!
@wittaj speaking of spotter cameras, I'd like to see how spotter video would look on a Z12. Here is a screenshot of my current Night LPR Exposure settings and any tips for spotter settings would be appreciated. You and others in the LPR forum helped me with a lot of solid suggestions in April. I'm hooked on the Z12 and may add another one as a spotter. Thanks.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Z12 is pretty powerful optical zoom to be using as a spotter. Doesn't mean you couldn't use it, but many use a cheaper wide angle camera view for a spotter. It would come down to how far away the area is you want to have used as a spotter.

For example, if your Z12 for LPR is pointed 150 feet away and you want to angle another Z12 just offset from that to get a clean capture of the car and then trigger the LPR cam to start recording, then it would make sense.

Z12 for a spotter cam would use comparable settings as another camera for anything other than LPR - so fast shutter, but not as fast as for LPR. Try 1/250 and then back it down from there until you find the right balance for your amount of light. So 1/200, 1/160, 1/120, 1/100. Obviously the slower the shutter, the more blur that is introduced.

RyanB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Z12 is pretty powerful optical zoom to be using as a spotter. Doesn't mean you couldn't use it, but many use a cheaper wide angle camera view for a spotter. It would come down to how far away the area is you want to have used as a spotter.

For example, if your Z12 for LPR is pointed 150 feet away and you want to angle another Z12 just offset from that to get a clean capture of the car and then trigger the LPR cam to start recording, then it would make sense.

Z12 for a spotter cam would use comparable settings as another camera for anything other than LPR - so fast shutter, but not as fast as for LPR. Try 1/250 and then back it down from there until you find the right balance for your amount of light. So 1/200, 1/160, 1/120, 1/100. Obviously the slower the shutter, the more blur that is introduced.
Understood. Just exploring options to see what's possible. I also have an IPC-HFW4431R-Z that blurs at night but now I have 1/250 as a starting point to sort this out with both cameras.

I actually could use either camera as you suggested. The Z12 is on the west corner of the house facing east and the second camera can go on the east corner facing west. With this setup, the spotter fits well with the LPR camera.

Thanks!