How to upgrade old system that has both coax + cat5e cable

Reaction score
Hi

I recently moved into a house and inherited an old analog camera system, the system is installed by the builder of the house. It consists of a 12v power box and an old DVR that records the analog videos, the DVR is kind of broken (beeping about HDD failure all the time). I'm thinking of reviving the system.

When I look at the system, I'm really surprised that it actually uses a mix of coax cable & cat5e cables.

There are 2 cameras that's connected to the DVR using coax directly. (there are also 2 power cable connected from power box delivering power to those 2 cameras)
And then there are 7 cat5e cables connecting to the rest of the cameras. Even though the cable is cat5e, it actually splits into power pairs (orange/brown) that connecting to the power box and video pairs (blue/green) that got converted to BNC connector connected into the DVR.

To upgrade this analog system into a modern setup, It looks like I have multiple choices.

1. Use HDCVI cameras + the old cable setup + a new HDCVI DVR.
2. Use IP camera system with a NVR.

Most ppl would prefer an IP-camera based system since coax/HDCVI is considered legacy tech anyway, however, for those 2 coax cables it's really not easy to run new cat cable, so I will have to use ethernet over coax solution, I searched in this forum and found the LR1002 ethernet over coax solutions:

How to Replace Analog system into IP system easily | IP Cam Talk
Review - Dahua Ethernet over Coax Converter/Extender LR1002-1ET/LR1002-1EC | IP Cam Talk

Is this solution recommended? I don't see many ppl recommending/using this solution (instead most ppl seem to just stay with coax and use HDCVI solutions). How reliable are those adapters and what's the long term reliability of those adapters? Ideally once it's setup I don't want to touch/fix/change it again for at least 10+ years.

There is a 3rd solution which is a hybrid setup where I use a hybrid DVR/NVR and connect 7 ip cameras + 2 hdcvi cameras to it. Looking at the dahua xvr systems it looks like they support ip cameras via external poe switch?. Maybe that solution is viable too? Again the problem with this approach is this doesn't seem a very "standard" approach that gets widely used.

Thank you for your inputs!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have used that adapter for years with no problem.

Is the preferred method to run new wire - yes. But you have one or two and would be a hassle to replace or just to get going until you have time, then use this.

You would probably get the itch to upgrade camera quality before the adapter dies. I know I have replaced the camera at least 3 times since using the adapter in my hard to get to location.