I have 3.0.17 - Geofence settings missing from app?

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was off last week on vacation and spent the time amung other things by setting up 2 cameras using blue iris. I set everything to my liking as far as camera settings go. I then installed the app and went through the wizard and set and verified all the app permissions. I setup my server in the app by scanning the square barcode thing in the schedule section of the windows program with my phone. I am able to login to my server and see my cameras and files have push notifications working on the app. I set up the gps coordinates of the server in the windows program. I set up the actions to do on exit and enter the geofence and I have given admin rights to the user I setup in the windows program and I can see my phone in the mobile devices tab in the windows program but there is a " - " (dash) in the geofence column. It is not showing me as inside or outside the geofence. I tried resetting geofences in the app with no luck. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled and still the same thing. One note is in the app I do not have any geofence options in the gear icon and the only setting related to geofence is in the ? (question mark) screen where at the bottom you can reset the geofences. Is this an app problem or is there something I am doing wrong that the geofence settings do not show in the app?

D0T-C0M

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK I found the issue why I wasn't seeing any geofence options in the gear settings in the app. I tried adding a new server and when the wizard got to the geofence section I re-read the page and because I previously only gave the app permission to use location (GPS) while the app was running but the app wants location data all the time. I was very easy to miss because I always only give apps permissions while the app is running.

Its stupid for the app to hide the settings field because the app didn't have the required permissions. The app should instead of hiding the settings, should notify you that permissions have not been set properly. Also another point is why would it not work when I gave it permission to access location while the app was running rather than all the time? Seems to me that if the app is running in the background its still able to use the gps location data. Anyways I have the settings now appearing in the app, when I get home tonight I suspect this will now work properly. I'll report back if its not.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've already reported this to the developer. Suggest you do the same.

So far I'm not seeing any evidence of excessive background battery usage by the app with Location permission set to "Allow all the time".
Settings > Device care > Battery usage
1614022587969.png
As always, YMMV.

Last edited: