I have a question about the correct way to setup home nvr to internet through router

sunshadow

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a question about the correct way to setup home nvr to internet through router. I want to access my nvr remotely through internet on my laptop and phone. My nvr is connected to my router and all cameras are working and I am able to access the nvr from my pc and access my router from my pc. My router is set up with a static ip from my isp. My LAN is functioning and I can access cameras independently and or through NVR setup on LAN through Internet Explorer. My idea was to use a DDNS service and I subscribed to a DDNS provider and set up a domain name. This is the current set-up. I got stuck here.
What am I doing wrong or right? When I attempted to set up my router and nvr to use the ddns domain name I got stuck and had several times I even ended up not being able to access the router after saving the changes. I tried everything to access the router and ended up having to rest to default. I am using a Zyxel router and a Anran nvr.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why you're dealing with DDNS if you indeed have "a static IP from my isp", as you said (assuming your talking about a static AND public WAN IP).

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
^ This. If you have a static IP, then you don't need a DynamicDNS (DDNS) service.

The DDNS is just pointing a name (your_host_name.ddns.net) to an IP which is subject to change. The router/host tells DDNS its IP address when it changes or on some other periodic basis. The DDNS service points your_host_name.ddns.net to that IP. You reference your host using the name (not IP address) and DNS servers around the net resolve the name to your IP address.

As above, with a static IP you can cut all of that out and just reference your router/host by its IP address directly.

sunshadow

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure why you're dealing with DDNS if you indeed have "a static IP from my isp", as you said (assuming your talking about a static AND public WAN IP).

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. Thanks for the input also . It was just enough to set me on the correct path to get to access my nvr remotely albeit without the ddns service. I wasted my time and money on that. Maybe I'll keep experimenting but probably not as I ran into headaches with attempting the ddns. I am glad I asked for advice because I would have been more frustrated if I did not. Thanks again. dave

sunshadow

n3wb
Reaction score
^ This. If you have a static IP, then you don't need a DynamicDNS (DDNS) service.

The DDNS is just pointing a name (your_host_name.ddns.net) to an IP which is subject to change. The router/host tells DDNS its IP address when it changes or on some other periodic basis. The DDNS service points your_host_name.ddns.net to that IP. You reference your host using the name (not IP address) and DNS servers around the net resolve the name to your IP address.

As above, with a static IP you can cut all of that out and just reference your router/host by its IP address directly.
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. Thanks for the input also . It was just enough to set me on the correct path to get to access my nvr remotely albeit without the ddns service. I wasted my time and money on that. Maybe I'll keep experimenting but probably not as I ran into headaches with attempting the ddns. I am glad I asked for advice because I would have been more frustrated if I did not. Thanks again. dave