I just installed a Laview NVR 6 cam system. What is DDNS, Static IP, DHCP

E46M3

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a lot of reading over the weekend after finishing installing the system. And I’m very confused by these 3 things. I’d greatly appreciated if someone can explain to me what these are.

When I search google for what is my IP, I get a set of numbers like xx.xx.xxx.xx . I believe this IP changes from time to time by my ISP without me knowing. So in order to get uninterrupted remote access to my NVR, I’d need to set up a DDNS service. I think I got this part correct?

I did more reading, and saw that you can assign static IP to devices connected to the router, what does this mean and do I need to do that for my NVR? Does my router assign random IP’s to my NVR and/or cams?

And what is DHCP in my router setup page? Can I actually set static IP’s without a DDNS service?

I’m sorry if my questions are a bit random, I’m not very familiar with IT stuff. Again, appreciate if you can help!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Your external IP address from your provider to your modem can change during a renewal. Some people experience this more than others, this really is provider dependent based on lease times and IP allocation/tables.

A static IP of a device means that no matter what, that device will always pull/attempt to pull the same IP. You will want to set a static IP address for your NVR, this is done inside the NVR. For example, if your IP routing is 192.168.1.XXX you want to assign your NVR a unique address that no other devices are using - for example 192.168.1.91 Now, no matter what happens, you lose power, your router resets, etc every time your device boots back up your NVR will pull 192.168.1.91. If you set that to Dynamic, each time the router restarts you run the risk of your NVR Pulling a different IP address and you won't know how to access it unless you run an IP scanner program or VMS search software for the device.

You can NOT simply setup a static IP address for your modem unless you pay your provider for it, so you are correct this is why a DNS service is required. Your device will then perform a chickin for example every 15 min. with the host provider to assure the IP address matches, if it doesn't, it updates it and allows your remote access to continue to work.

If your cameras connect directly to your NVR then your router has nothing to do with the physical cameras, the NVR assigns those IP's and manages all functions of that.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And it really depends, some ISP's, never change your IP. Mine for instance has stayed the same for several years.

E46M3

n3wb
Reaction score
Your external IP address from your provider to your modem can change during a renewal. Some people experience this more than others, this really is provider dependent based on lease times and IP allocation/tables.

A static IP of a device means that no matter what, that device will always pull/attempt to pull the same IP. You will want to set a static IP address for your NVR, this is done inside the NVR. For example, if your IP routing is 192.168.1.XXX you want to assign your NVR a unique address that no other devices are using - for example 192.168.1.91 Now, no matter what happens, you lose power, your router resets, etc every time your device boots back up your NVR will pull 192.168.1.91. If you set that to Dynamic, each time the router restarts you run the risk of your NVR Pulling a different IP address and you won't know how to access it unless you run an IP scanner program or VMS search software for the device.

You can NOT simply setup a static IP address for your modem unless you pay your provider for it, so you are correct this is why a DNS service is required. Your device will then perform a chickin for example every 15 min. with the host provider to assure the IP address matches, if it doesn't, it updates it and allows your remote access to continue to work.

If your cameras connect directly to your NVR then your router has nothing to do with the physical cameras, the NVR assigns those IP's and manages all functions of that.
So all I have to do is set up a DDNS service and also assign a static IP by logging into the NVR and assign there?
I understand in order to have DDNS service, I'd have to change the settings in the router as well, and I think I know how to do that. But I also see settings like DHCP, is this for external static IP only and I don't have to worry about this setting? And do I have to change anything in the router for the internal static IP for the NVR?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
But I also see settings like DHCP, is this for external static IP only
Depends on the router and what section your in.

You should not have to make any IP setting changes in the router for your NVR, simply setting a static IP in the NVR will take care of that. Only thing you need to do in the router is enter the DDNS information and configure your port forwarding if that is how you are going to utilize remote access to the NVR.

E46M3

n3wb
Reaction score
Depends on the router and what section your in.

You should not have to make any IP setting changes in the router for your NVR, simply setting a static IP in the NVR will take care of that. Only thing you need to do in the router is enter the DDNS information and configure your port forwarding if that is how you are going to utilize remote access to the NVR.
Just our of curiosity, since the router is the one assigning random internal IP's, how does it know if the static IP set in the NVR is not taken(I guess because it's hooked up to it)?

You meantioned "if this is how you're going to utilize remote aaccess" are there other ways? or better easier ways?

I really appreciate your help on this!