I need help asap!!!

TEX10.95

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all!

1st I would like to apologize for being yet another "I NEED HELP" threads....

I really do need some last minute help though as I can't seem to make any headway on this computer topic.

I acquired a Dell tower from Dell only to find out they canceled my dam order.... long story short that deal crapped out on me.

So now i'm looking for a replacement but can't seem to find one

I will be running 8 Hikvision 4mp cameras with it

I will also want to instal the WD Purple 4TB hard drive as well.

I've combed over so may threads on here and sooooo many different computers get mentioned and all the good deals go quick.

From what I can tell the best bet is to go with a Dell i7 but beyond that i'm not 100% what the differences is between all of them (aside from the obvious one is newer than the other)...

i'm looking to spend anywhere between $500-$800 for said tower, sooner the better!

Any help would be appreciated...

I got screwed over on my 1st security camera install so i'm building this one myself and this site has proven invaluable thus far.

Thanks again

TEX

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome!

We get several question a day on what to buy, so I've just started a list of current members systems. This will give you a general idea on how many cam you can get from a given CPU model.

There are other variables like FPS and MP of the camera that effect how many camera you can use on a system, but for now this will give you a general idea on what to processor to buy

For a complete list, or to add your system information see: BlueIris System Specs Google Live Spreadsheet

IpCamTalkCPUPassmarkVideoMemoryNumberBI BitrateBIBI RAMBIAvg (calc)Avg (calc)Avg (calc)
UserProcessorGHzScoreCardGBCamskB/sCPU %GB in useVersionMbit/s / CamkB/s / CamMB Used/Cam
dalepai7-3770k4.39567nvidia 660ti16144100313.114.3.9.5 x642.3292.9227.5
dalepai5-4570T2.94794integrated46950321.614.3.9.5 x641.2158.3274.8
nejakejnicki5-45903.77200integrated8135000322.514.3.9.5 x643.0384.6197.7
bartenderfloydi5-6400T2.25312integrated873400581.23.8485.7175.5
kevkmartini7-4790410007integrated32146450144.624.3.9.4 x643.6460.7337.9
atomi7-47903.610007nvidia gtx960161812760683.94.3.9.5 x645.5708.9221.9
ablerileyi5-520M2.42400integrated843500390.6384.3.9.5 x646.8875.0163.3

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been reading a lot on looking for the "right setup too".
It appears most of the talk revolves around primarily CPU choice from what I see here.

Besides CPU though, which seems to be the primary talking point, especially with regard to BI use, what other computer components are must have or min spec required for optimal performance?

I mean, so for example say you want to run 10-20 4mp cams and you get a 6th get an i7-6700 powerhouse CPU? Great, ...but does that then necessitate a min sized power supply?
How important is the right motherboard?...
DDR3 vs DDR4 RAM?
Is having a separate fast \ separate SSD for the OS and another for recording to disk beneficial?

The whole thing is only as fast as its slowest bottleneck, right? So, in theory, you could have the fastest CPU and still not get good performance, write \ rec speed etc. I imagine.

I see a lot of referrals for at least "i5 or i7 Dells" among others....Then I look at Dells and I can get i5\i7 in an XPS (seems to be the priciest), Optiplex, Latitude, Mini Tower, NUC version.
Assuming the same chip, how important is model differentiation here?
Anyone have a list of or know the primary difference in these models? The price diff can be substantial and in the end I can't tell if I gain anything with an XPS vs an Optiplex or the other way around.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't overthink it too much. If you're running the machine as a dedicated Blue Iris server, the power supply and the memory which came with the machine will be sufficient. The SSD for the system drive is definitely a plus. Blue Iris can write the video it records to an internal conventional disk...a lot of guys use the western digital blue series which are optimized for video, as do I. I run a Dell 7040 MT which I bought on eBay for $650, with a three-year Dell warranty. I added a 500 GB SSD and my total cost was $850. The machine is a beast, but with the exception of the SSD it's all stock equipment.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks...I do tend to do the overthink thing a lot with stuff like this just because the options\combos seem to be infinite.
I'm looking at similar eBay systems to what you linked....So, you don't have any real concerns with "referb" or a generic, (vs getting the touted "Purple") HDD?

I think I'd like to have as small a form factor with the i7-6700 for future growth plans based on recommendations around the forum.
Can I assume all PCs at this level ALL have Gigabit Ethernet NIC at this point, right?
I ask that because when looking at NVR specs before, I notice they all show specs for max "bandwidth" (like "160MB Bandwidth, or 256MB Bandwidth"), which I assume has to do with the amount of simultaneous video recording\viewing the box can do, right?
....But with PC solutions, no one seems to ever mention that spec? Some people say they record 15-20fps from many high MP cameras 24/7.
It has to be a constraint at some point depending on the number of cameras you have feeding video into your computer, right?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris is my guess

Right now I have an i5-4690 with 16gb and an SSD for the OS with one 4mp Hik on my network (for now, converting to all IP shortly) and then pulling 6 other cameras through my Lorex and I haven't had any issues. BI and BI tools always up and I connect through remote desktop several times during the day.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bitrate set in the software, the percentage of CPU being used by the software, and the amount of system RAM the software is using.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@QU2, think something like this would be a good deal?...would prob throw in a bigger HD for rec anyway and use the supplied 250GBfor the OS...looks pretty small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-7040-SFF-Core-i7-6700-8GB-DDR4-250GB-Win-10-Pro-/112066503461?hash=item1a17af2325:g:-OEAAOSwhMFXkrcI

Any advantage\disadvantage of the SFF vs MT, vs XPS, Latitudes,( may have asked that generality elsewhere already...)...yes, again, overthinking.

Thx
The SFF is WAY TOO SMALL imo and you won't be able to fit any extra dives in it. Get a 7040MT...it is surprisingly small and it is quiet as a mouse. My 7040MT came in "as new" condition. If it carries a 3-year Dell warranty it probably is an open box or a quick return.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JBoyle

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome!

We get several question a day on what to buy, so I've just started a list of current members systems. This will give you a general idea on how many cam you can get from a given CPU model.

There are other variables like FPS and MP of the camera that effect how many camera you can use on a system, but for now this will give you a general idea on what to processor to buy

For a complete list, or to add your system information see: BlueIris System Specs Google Live Spreadsheet
Does the BI in this table just refer to Blue Iris?
Thanks.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The SFF is WAY TOO SMALL imo and you won't be able to fit any extra dives in it. Get a 7040MT...it is surprisingly small and it is quiet as a mouse. My 7040MT came in "as new" condition. If it carries a 3-year Dell warranty it probably is an open box or a quick return.
What he said. I have an OptiPlex SFF and there was just enough room for the HDD and the SSD with the OS on it. I could probably add another drive to it but it won't be secure and would be bouncing around. Not the ideal setup. I'm considering upgrading next year when I get my income tax.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.
I'll only need the one SSD and one HDD (4-6TB not planning more than a few day's to a week's backup) and wanted something as stash-able as possible with my planned closet space location constraints but I'll def look at the MT now...That particular SFF example just seemed to have a good price point too.
Other than that, performance, component, feature wise they look comparable.

Wonder if it would be louder though b\c of mall size poss causing less heat dissipation ability.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.
I'll only need the one SSD and one HDD (4-6TB not planning more than a few day's to a week's backup) and wanted something as stash-able as possible with my planned closet space location constraints but I'll def look at the MT now...That particular SFF example just seemed to have a good price point too.
Other than that, performance, component, feature wise they look comparable.

Wonder if the SFF would be louder \ run hotter too b\c of mall size causing less heat dissipation ability.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 4TB WD Purple but I'm prob gonna upgrade to a 6TB (4TB was on sale for 115 so I couldn't pass up the deal). I have 2 cameras but I'm adding 4 more over the next month so I think you'll be good with a 4-6 if you aren't looking for more long term storage. Mine is whisper quiet, the only time I hear it is when It chirps when I sign into the mobile app if I'm in the room with it (a feature u can disable).

One more piece of advice if u go the SFF route... purchase a longer SATA cable with an L connector for the WD HD. Its a very tight fit and the L connector works much better. This is the one I used and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GUXU52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Price is right too.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.