I plugged the wrong cable.

bluealmond

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
While doing some maintenance I I plugged the routers cable to the DVR and now the DVR won't start, i know i know, stupid me.

The thing I plugged was a 24 volt adapted to a hikvision DVR (ds-7208hghi-f1),

What i want to know is if I fried everything? are there pieces i can try to replace, do you think the hard drive is fried too?

when i plug the original cable to the DVR i can see a red light inside it, but besides that i see nothing else.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Whats the voltage input for the DVR compared to the router? Are both center pin positive on the barrel connector?

Found the specs for the DVR. Yeah its 12V and you gave it 24V. It probably not a good thing. Maybe someone else has a suggestion...

bluealmond

n3wb
Reaction score
the router is 12v indeed, and plugged a 24 volt.
i take it back, the power light blinks too and the red light inside.

i can get a replacement, but want to know if the HD is fried too which would suck.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused. You said in the first post you plugged the router's power cord in to the DVR. The DVR according to the specs is 12V. So what is the router? 12V too?

bluealmond

n3wb
Reaction score
I forgot to update this thread. this killed the hard drive, but the DVR was fine for a couple of months and then it died on me.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I label every cable, network, power, USB, phone, whatever. Cheap insurance and makes it so easy to trouble shoot.