Ideal Cam for BI

AVTechMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been reading posts here and there on using BI to make an effective security system.

For hardware even though I have not built the system yet, I was going to go with an i7 based system that has QS which is included with Intel's HD graphics. I plan to use Win 7 as its been a stable OS for me to use with my video editing workstations. I have no interest in Win 8 nor 10, no point in fixing something that isn't broken.

Question is what are good reliable IP cameras to use brand wise? I know opinions vary but need a general idea on where to start researching next since I am pretty new at this.

My plan is to run several cameras (unsure of number at this time) along the outside of my two story house to cover all angles and a front door cam in case someone comes to the door while I'm working in my studio upstairs. I plan to go the wired route for reliability. The cameras would also have to be able to stand up to outdoor conditions like the sun and heat in the summer and rainy cold days where moisture will be involved (I live in Texas).

I would like to get at least one camera to start and learn with to get familiar along with the BI software and a PoE switch to get started. I plan to buy the license once I get familiar with the software. In the meantime I will continue to do some forum searches and ask questions as needed.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua or Hikvision, but your topic is loaded.. the ideal camera for BI is one that works, and thats the vast majority of em.. you have to try hard to find one that wont work now days.

possibly consider Longse or Huisun if you need ultra-low light performance or cheap 50mm optics.. they are best bang for buck for some environments, but best? hardly, but thats subjective.. the best cameras would be Dahua's Starlight or Hikvisions DarkFighter cameras, and wait until you see the cost of those babies.. you'll likely be happy with settling for second or third best with the $400+ per camera those run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been reading posts here and there on using BI to make an effective security system.

For hardware even though I have not built the system yet, I was going to go with an i7 based system that has QS which is included with Intel's HD graphics. I plan to use Win 7 as its been a stable OS for me to use with my video editing workstations. I have no interest in Win 8 nor 10, no point in fixing something that isn't broken.

Question is what are good reliable IP cameras to use brand wise? I know opinions vary but need a general idea on where to start researching next since I am pretty new at this.

My plan is to run several cameras (unsure of number at this time) along the outside of my two story house to cover all angles and a front door cam in case someone comes to the door while I'm working in my studio upstairs. I plan to go the wired route for reliability. The cameras would also have to be able to stand up to outdoor conditions like the sun and heat in the summer and rainy cold days where moisture will be involved (I live in Texas).

I would like to get at least one camera to start and learn with to get familiar along with the BI software and a PoE switch to get started. I plan to buy the license once I get familiar with the software. In the meantime I will continue to do some forum searches and ask questions as needed.
If you plan to take advantage of Hardware decoding using quicksync, you're going to have to use either Windows 8 or 10. Hardware decoding will not work properly on Windows 7 with Blue Iris.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you plan to take advantage of Hardware decoding using quicksync, you're going to have to use either Windows 8 or 10. Hardware decoding will not work properly on Windows 7 with Blue Iris.
It is supposed to work as long as you are not running BI in service mode.

Reaction score
Sorry, I should've explained that. That's what I meant by it won't work properly. Personally, I would never not run BI as a service.