Ideal Receive Buffer for 3MP & 4MP IP cameras?

What is your receive buffer?

• 1-10 MB

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 11-20 MB

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • 21-30 MB

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Above 30 MB

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Under Camera Properties > Video > Configure > Network Options

1) What is the ideal "Receive Buffer" to use with Hikvision 3MP and 4MP cameras and what are the pros and cons of setting it too low or too high?

2) I've looked through a number of threads which seem to indicate that 20 MB is what is suggested (mainly by Fenderman), but is there an advantage to going higher (or disadvantage)?

I've got plenty of RAM to spare as my system is an i7 with 32GB of RAM. I'm running 18 cameras and my CPU usage is usually around 25% with an FPS of 10 on most cameras. I occasionally get some ghosting on the recordings and was wondering if I should just crank the receive buffer up to 50MB per camera.

I should also point out that I did read the Help file but did not find any information regarding the receive buffer.

Thanks for your help!

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are excellent questions. I also would like to know how receive buffers are used and how to determine an optimal size.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To this day I don't know for sure what buffer that refers to. It sounds like a buffer for compressed audio and video frames to sit in while waiting for the necessary decoders to process them. In that case, 20 MB is extreme overkill. A 20 MB buffer would take 16 seconds to fill if you were streaming 10 Mbps.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
...In that case, 20 MB is extreme overkill. A 20 MB buffer would take 16 seconds to fill if you were streaming 10 Mbps.
Yes, BUT is there any harm in setting it way too high or "overkill"? I imagine that there IS a setting that it too low that would cause problems, but without knowing exactly what it does, I guess we'll just continue to make sure we set it thoroughly in overkill territory.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, overkill territory is fine. If you're at the limit of RAM, the solution is to buy more RAM, not to reduce memory buffer sizes until you can just barely squeak by again :)