Idiot's questions and overview for IP CAM installation on Hikvision NVR

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Help! I cannot get the A400 to work on NVR.

I followed the exact same pathway as S500, but it continues to say *network is unreachable*.
Settings are:
IP camera No.: D2
Adding method: Manual
IP camera addr: 192.168.254.3
Protocol: ONVIF
Management port: 80
Channel port: 1
Transfer protocol: Auto

PoE: 3.4-3.5W

I can view the camera when connected to power suply/LAN at whatever IP address is assigned. But nothing on NVR. Any ideas? Try to set static IP to 192.168.254.3?

I am a total newbie at this and thanks to several knowledgeable members here, I now have 1 camera up and running on my NVR.
Overview so far:

-Research and purchase NVR and Hard Disk storage
-Research and purchase cameras for the particular installation
-While waiting for cameras to arrive from China, familiarize self with NVR menus, network setup, HDD installation and initialization
-Continue to read ipcamtalk and prepare for install
-Purchase additional cameras after additional research
-Receive cameras from first order and attempt to function test before install
-Despite exhaustively reading and watching videos, go to ipcamtalk and ask its knowledgeable members to help

Last edited by a moderator:

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one camera up and running (just pointing out of my front window).
Longse S500 turret.

Required a 12v power supply and a Windows computer with LAN connection for initial setup before connecting to NVR. I used an old 12v 1amp cable modem power supply I had in a parts bin.

Open internet explorer and access the camera. For Longse S500 go to address 192.168.1.168 and change admin password and enable DHCP.
After saving, disconnect from PC & power supply and attach to open port on NVR.
Edit NVR camera settings for appropriate camera: Camera D1, Manual add, Protocol ONVIF, I left the port entries and transfer protocol at stock settings, enter password.
Watch as camera connects and live stream becomes available for viewing.

I am now trying to get the second camera, a Longse A400 up and running...

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If i set the camera static IP to 192.168.254.3, I don't think I would be able to access it from the LAN (192.168.1.xxx) anymore. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

5string

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If your NVR has virtual Host (look under Network) then you'll still able to access it from the Lan.

Here's a guide by them on how to use it:
http://overseas.hikvision.com/ueditor/net/upload/2015-06-10/78a8a9a4-ff4f-4b3c-8a54-9f3ec0be09ab.pdf

If you don't have virtual host, use this sticky as a way to get to the camera while it is connected to the POE:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/115-Hitting-cameras-web-pages-with-a-laptop-in-an-NVR-with-POE
Thanks for that! Virtual host works! Should I try a static IP?