If you had to recommend a mini PTZ which one would you?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I need a new toy....

Curious to know what mini PTZ you would recommend in the year 2020 to pan around and zoom. I live on a slow, wide creek in Florida...most of you would call it a swamp...LOL. Anyhow, I don't know that I want to sink $350+ on a PTZ play toy so I though maybe a mini PTZ would be fun. Plus I don't think I'm ready for one of those large behemoth PTZs. There's a lot of wildlife in my backyard and thought it would be fun to zoom into the creek/woods. Prefer Dahua/Hikvision, POE, decent night IR. The pic below gives you an idea of where I want to PTZ the camera.

20200302_173457.jpg

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use an Amcrest(Dahua OEM) 25X PTZ for wildlife. After looking at your location snapshot, I suggest you evaluate the zoom view you would have with the 4X cameras versus what you would have with a 12X or 25X PTZ. I think greater zoom is worth it, even if the camera is big and heavy. Also they probably have more IR power, durability, and PTZ functions. The Amcrest IP2M-853EW (12X PTZ) is currently available at Amazon for $269 with a code. The only significant difference I know between it and a similar Dahua is no IVS, if that is important. I don't know what the similar Dahua model is.
What's the distance between the eventual camera location and the creek/woods?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll measure it in the morning.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sybertiger, did you ever make a selection? I have a very similar backyard setup and size. I'm looking for a wildlife PTZ camera, but i'm worried 25x zoom would be overkill or unused with my treeline obstructing things beyond 100-150 ft or so.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think you'll be disappointed with anything less than 12x for sure - I'd go for 20x at minimum as it looks like you have a gold mine of things to view in your backyard and you'll easily pay more if you end up buying a second camera because you didn't like the low zoom level of your first purchase. I've never regretted having too much zoom - within reason.

Here's some snapshots of a banana at 70 feet away (cam is 16 feet off the ground) with my SD59225U-HNI (25x Dahua PTZ) at 1x, 4x, 10x and 25x zoom.

I know mine's not a mini-PTZ, just showing you an example of what detail the different zoom levels may get you.

SD59225U-HNI 1x at 70 feet.jpg
SD59225U-HNI 4x at 70 feet.jpg
SD5925U-HNI 10x at 70 feet.jpg
SD59225U-HNI 25x 70 feet.jpg

Last edited:

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
one point i would agree with is you would be dissapointed with any zoom under 12 times zoom.. i have a SD42212T-HN and for my situation its a great camera. the only downsides are it does not have built in sound and it does not have the rtmp feature other than that i cannot fault it. don't worry about overkill it would be worse it you buy a cam then later think i wish i had more zoom,,,

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Sybertiger, did you ever make a selection? I have a very similar backyard setup and size. I'm looking for a wildlife PTZ camera, but i'm worried 25x zoom would be overkill or unused with my treeline obstructing things beyond 100-150 ft or so.
Nope... But still kicking around the idea. Was hoping more peeps would join in on this discussion and mention some PTZs.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I like the 2mp mini PTZ over the 4mp PTZ. I could care less about superior specs in the 4mp model. The 2mp has better nightime performance

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If price is the key metric, I'll give a shout out to Hikvision's DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 4MP 4X PTZ cam which I bought recently from an official reseller in the UK for a mere £113 / $139 [plus VAT].

At that price it's not going to be the best at anything but it does offer a lot of bang for the buck and I am very satisfied with the daylight optics, auto-focus speed, codec suite and smart event capability including face detection, intrusion detection, line crossing detection, unattended baggage detection and object removal detection.

I'm less happy with the 20 metre night vision [but happy at the price] and with a bug I found in a little used feature.

Photos below show what the 4X optical zoom delivers [camera also sports 16X digital zoom but I never go there], plus a night shot taken with no ancillary lighting or house lights apart from a couple of small downliters outside the gate. There's also an IR light from another camera in the porch. Camera is mounted 15 feet up and approx 50 feet from the gate.

PTZ Z1.pngPTZ Z4.pngPTZ Z1 night.png