I'm still looking for a good 9U rack enclosure?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ready to put my equipment in a wall mounted low profile rack enclosure and cant really find one that is just right for my application. I have only two criteria as follows:

1. A lot of open wall space on the enclosure for really good ventilation to keep my equipment cool.
  2. I want 4 vertical corner posts in the rack frame to support some heavy shelves and a heavy switch.

It seems that it is easy to find one or the other but not both? Anyone have a source.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This one is not too bad,

I installed one recently. Kind of a pain to put together but I'm not that great at that kind of stuff. I put a small router, 8 port poe switch and nvr into it. Very sturdy once together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161779566945?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g=I161779566945.N36.S2.R3.TR3
Thanks but no thanks. Removable side panels are a must in order to reach the back of the equipment. I'm now looking at this TrippLite model for maximum ventilation, but it only has two vertical rails to support equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Enclosure-Switch-Depth-SRW9U/dp/B004VUOAPG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51tn62YF5wL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320,320_&psc=1&refRID=AXHAMRXCW9DARV76SM4R

And this unit by Navepoint, with 4 vertical posts but looks like a hot box even with the fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Navepoint-Wallmount-Cabinet-Enclosure-16-Inches/dp/B00JZVUBFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470103987&sr=8-1&keywords=9u+wall+mount+rack+enclosure

There is also a Silverylake Inc unit but I can't figure out anything about the actual maker of this?

https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Mounted-Network-Equipment-Cabinet-Enclosure/dp/B01HYU6U84/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1470103310&sr=8-13&keywords=9u+wall+mount+rack+enclosure

My question at this point does anyone have experience mounting heavy equipment on a two rail rack system? What is the weight limit?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you are putting in full size 4u servers I don't think 2 post only would be a problem, the way the shelves are made they are very sturdy

LonnieU

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Tripp Lite 9U Wall Mount Rack Enclosure Server Cabinet you listed from Amazon that is housing the following:
TP-Link TL-SG3424P 24 Port POE Managed Switch - 1U
Tripp Lite SMART500RT1U 500VA Rackmount UPS - 1U
Dell Optiplex 9020 Mini Tower that is my BlueIris Server. Turned on it side and underneath the POE Switch and UPS.

I have fiber runs to other POE switches from this switch and 16 cameras around our facility.

I have it mounted to a 3/4" Plywood board that is attached to a wall of a storage room inside our production building. I purposely located it away from all of our IT equipment for security reasons. A picture is shown below. I would have taken the sides off, but it's about 10 feet of the floor. You can look up the equipment, but it probably has around 60-80 lbs in it and has no issues structurally. I think the only extra thing I did was use Fender washers on the Lag screws of the enclosure to the plywood. Worked great for me. As you mentioned, the doors can be completely removed all around for access.

2016-08-02 08.19.45.jpg

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
Did you look at Schneider distributed apc racks ?
Apc do some decent quality cheap ups and power systems too ...

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just finishing building a new desk for the spare "music" room .
im using 2 cheap 12u wall mounts , with a tabletop on the top of them .
they ran around 70 each , ave remove able sides , and a lockable glass door .

theyre 4 post , but there is only around 12" depth between them .

im not sure what equipment you have that's that small that would weigh enough to need all 4 ?

the bad part is , it's too small to take standard shelves and drawers etc , but 2 6" shelves can be fastened on the front and rear uprights to make a full-length shelf should you wish .

they also made a 9u unit Iirc .
i can find you details if you want .

i wouldn't worry about heat in any rack .
you can direct the airflow wherever you need it with vents and blanks 1u spacers etc , and can buy 1u fans if needed .

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive got some heavy shit hanging off the front 2 rails.. its fine unless you got something deeper than a wall mount cabinet.. in my full size cabinets the only things attached to the rear are on sliding rails that support the entire thing.. and a couple very heavy duty shelves that I can stack about 30 1U servers on w/out worry.

steel, its strong :)

a bunch of vents is not all important, its all about airflow.. infact mine in by basement are closed on side, top and bottom.. intakes front near ground, goes under the equipment, behind the equipment, and then back out the front again.. you dont want hotspots, and heat rises.. so unless you try to work against that or seal it off so air cant move throughout the inside like its supposed to; its pretty easy to get adequate airflow.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
These are the ones I'm using as desk sides .
12u , but you can get other sizes .

on this one I have to either jigsaw the back or as it is now simply not installed to fit the big stuff in (2 ups , a Mac Pro , and a dahua 5832 )

on on the other one its just rack mounted music stuff so it all fits no problem , but I cut some 3/8" stainless tubes so I could mount a mid-atlantic drawer I allready had that was about an inch to deep .

one key fits the sides and front door , and both racks share the same key .
so when I lose it I have 3 spares !!! :peaceful:

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up with the 9U TrippLite model wall mount with the 16" depth. The deepest thing that will go into it is a a 10" deep shelf that holds the Lenovo Mini PC, the Netgear router, and a 4 bay external hard drive; 4U. Other equipment in the enclosure will include a 24 port TrippLite switch (8 POE, 2 SFP) with an integrated PDU in the back of it: 1U. Two 24 port high density patch panels each 1U will be included. Two spaces will be blank and I will fill the spaces in the front of the unit with ventilated blank face plates.

This enclosure will accommodate 2, 4" TrippLite cooling fans but most of the reviews for them state that their very loud, so I will look for something quieter later.

I find that the structure is not built as solid as I was expecting and the front door is not lined up squarely, resulting in a side/bottom contact. Cantilevering the heavy shelf remains uncertain only because I have not tried it yet. The vertical rack posts do not look very reassuring however. Stay tuned.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
As you can see , the front door on these doesn't line up either .
on this one with the "secure" stuff in , I'll have to see how noisey everything is when recording and I could end up sealing the whole unit , or if not I'll simply run felt pad along the bottom to put it in line .

one the other one with all music gear , I'll probobly permanently remove the door .

mine are from go plus , bought on eBay for 69 (12u)

If you're using eBay buying blanks , vents , shelves etc go with nave point . Good quality and thick enough to be sturdy .

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Comes included with 2 large fans...should be good to go!