I'm urgently looking for a PTZ outdoor camera with certain setting options

luki67

n3wb
Reaction score
>I'm desperately looking for a PTZ camera with person auto-tracking, which, however,
remains in the same position after the person disappears from the camera's field of view and does NOT automatically swing back to a specific guard point or anywhere else after a certain preset time!

(up to 300-400€)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck with that LOL.

Tracking cameras do just that - track until object or time is up and then revert back to the preset to be ready for the next tracking.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually I think you could do this with a spotter cam (or many of them) telling the PTZ to "look over here" and not set a "home" preset, no presets, no tracking rules either...? It would theoretically sit there until the next spotter cam told it to go to a new position,.

Not sure why you would want to though.

luki67

n3wb
Reaction score
because we have to watch our demented father in the yard! If he disappeared from the camera's field of vision in one position and the camera stayed in the same place, we would be able to know in which direction he disappeared and also usually reappear from the same direction!
Then the camera has already automatically panned away, which is not what we want.
I can't understand this, these cameras have hundreds of sensible and nonsensical settings, but there is no setting for this situation

It would also be interesting to have a system with sensors all around outside the FOV where the camera pans when there is movement, but these are then equipped with bulky LED panels, which I don't like because of their size

what are spotter cams?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You’ll have to use spotter cams as the ptz can’t see what it can’t see.

spotter cam = another camera on the same network using an NVR or VMs like Blue Iris (BI) that can communicate via that recording device to tell the ptz to “look over here behind you”.
Replace the words “ sensors all around outside of the FOV” with the words “spotter cams”.

Think about it, what you’re asking is actually quite complex when you consider all the possible variables. What TV show did you see this on?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I generally don't watch TV shows, but I occasionally surf the net and the system described above can be found here:
Floodlight Camera E340 | 3K HD & Wireless Camera - eufy US
But that is not a PTZ camera!

And now that you have mentioned what your use case is, it sounds like you simply need a 180 degree OVERVIEW type camera that allows you to see the whole area. Or maybe one or two of those.

If you were looking to IDENTIFY strangers and perps from various distances, then you would need a more elaborate setup.

A spotter cam is any fixed cam pointed to a specific field of view and when that camera is triggered, it tells the PTZ to spin over to that area.

luki67

n3wb
Reaction score
This is definitely a PTZ camera!

A spotter system doesn't help me at all

I have described my requirements for the camera very precisely

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is definitely a PTZ camera!

A spotter system doesn't help me at all

I have described my requirements for the camera very precisely
Your first post DID NOT prescribe the intended use of the camera.... Most here would take that post and assume it was to IDENTIFY a perp that stops or goes out of site for a moment. You have specified in Post #4 that is it to WATCH a known person and their whereabouts - that is two different types of cameras and systems.

The first option (a perp) needs cameras with proper focal lengths to IDENTIFY at the distances the person would be; whereas the second option (watch your father) requires a less complicated setup to simply monitor....

That is only a PAN camera, it does not TILT or ZOOM.

And because it PANs, the camera will be panned looking left while your dad meanders off to the right.

As I said, you need a 180 degree view camera or a few 180 cameras depending on the layout of the house/property so that you can see where he is:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck with that
I think its perfect for you

And what the hell is 'Out-of-View Detection "? I see, the spec sheet. It doesn't cover 360 it uses PIR's to cover 180

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any PTZ with autotracking that behaves like you are asking for.

You would be much better-served by one or more 180 degree dual sensor cameras like @wittaj is recommending. They will give you an uninterrupted, reliable capture showing where people went. A PTZ would zoom in but be much less reliable (you may be surprised how easy it is for an auto-tracking PTZ to get lost). Which is more important to you? Reliability or zoom?

These are the cameras I'd recommend:

Note the second, more expensive option does not support infrared night vision and is meant to operate only in full color mode using regular visible light. I actually prefer the cheaper camera in many scenarios since it has a taller field of view and works with infrared, and is a fraction of the price.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of good information provided thus far so will only add a little more insight as it relates to other options.

By far using several spotter cameras is the easiest option to assist a PTZ camera to track a person.

The other alternative is to use external mounted sensors that connect to the cameras alarm I/O ports.

These can be PIR, Microwave, Radar, or combination hybrid sensors that incorporate two or more sensors.

Once the zone is tripped it would guide the PTZ to that specific area / zone.

The time and labour to install these sensors and run all the wiring to the cameras / NVR / VMS. May not pencil out for those on a small budget.

Going this route however ensures reliability and low maintenance.

Lastly, there are countless wireless / battery operated sensor options. Given this is intended for health and safety they should not be used or considered!

The odds you, or anyone else, will be diligent enough to change out batteries are slim to none . . .

As an aside you should consider one of those pendants that is worn around the neck. They are dual use such as calling for assistance and boundary detection.

Once the defined boundary is breached all manner of notification can be issued from SMS, email, voice, video.

luki67

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm almost overwhelmed by the flood of tips...
Solutions with sensors or spotter cams are out of the question, it should remain clear for me with a 4G modem and camera!

the FCD600 is actually on my radar, price is ridiculously cheap, my only concern is the possibly distorted view of the 180° camera.
Is it possible to correct something in the stitch image on the FCD600?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@luki67
There's only very limited control of the stitching on dual sensor cams like FDC600. These cameras are essentially just two 90 degree cameras with their views aligned extremely precisely and then simply blended together at the seam (but the blending is done remarkably well).

The only control you have over the stitching/blending process is to optimize the blending for a particular distance (which slightly adjusts the amount of overlap between the images from the two cameras). It is basically like what your eyes do when you focus on something close versus something farther away. E.g. if you configure it to blend optimally at 5 meters, and then objects along the center line (between sensors) at a distance of 5 meters will have minimal visual weirdness going on.

Here's a snapshot from an FCD600 I have:

The distortion is not bad especially when compared to the Dahua/EmpireTech version of a dual sensor cam.

The only way to make the horizon not be curved would be to point the camera directly at the horizon so that half the view was above the horizon.

And an example of the slightly doubled seam at distances further than the blending set point.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
remains in the same position after the person disappears from the camera's field of view and does NOT automatically swing back to a specific guard point or anywhere else after a certain preset time!

(up to 300-400€)
Can You tell me what is purpose / real use of that?

Dahua have more profesional (and costly) PTZ cameras which have two or more image sensors / lenses....
One is moving / rotating / zooming after the target and see narrow field, second (or more) are static (don't move or only rotate) and see wide field of view..

X-Spans series (cheaper):

180 / 270 / 360 Hubble series (sell Yours kidney :)