In the Midwest. Where to buy from?

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, and while I have plenty of network experience, I have installed very few cameras. I'm looking to start a project with a couple cameras, probably Dahua Starlight PoE varifocals, running to Blue Iris on a spare gaming pc, which will dedicated to the cameras. My biggest question is where to buy them. I know the info is probably here somewhere, and usually I have no qualms about digging thru forums, but I'm limited on time right now, and so I apologize for not putting in the time to figure it out myself. Is Empire still a good place to get them? I'm sure I'll spend alot of time here in the months to come, but getting the system installed asap is a priority. Again, I apologize for asking a question that can probably be answered by researching the forums.

Reaction score
A good many of us buy our Dahua cams from Andy at Empiretechnology. He is an IPCT (ipcamtalk) vendor so he is not only reliable, but also very inexpensive. All his cameras are International versions of Dahua models. So, for the most part, unbranded or no labels. Rest assured they are true Dahua cameras.

He has his own forum on ipcamtalk located here: EmpireTech Andy

He has a couple of stores on AliExpress, Empiretech and BEC. Also, a storefront on Amazon. You can link directly to any one of them, by looking at his user signature at the bottom of any one of his posts. You can also contact him directly by starting a conversation (private message).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. I'm looking forward to spending some more time here once it slows down at work. I.T. is definitely not a 9-5 job.

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Especially for the price. Everything I've read about them looks good. The durability is a big factor here in Wisconsin. Our weather can be pretty rough. I'll position them as best I can, to avoid the snow, ice, and whatever else decides to fall from the sky. I know they're not completely weatherproof, but they'll handle the cold better than alot of cheaper cams.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Especially for the price. Everything I've read about them looks good. The durability is a big factor here in Wisconsin. Our weather can be pretty rough. I'll position them as best I can, to avoid the snow, ice, and whatever else decides to fall from the sky. I know they're not completely weatherproof, but they'll handle the cold better than alot of cheaper cams.
The biggest concern with any outside camera, is properly water proofing the connections.
Di-electric grease, and self amalgamating tape.

Reaction score
The biggest concern with any outside camera, is properly water proofing the connections.
Di-electric grease, and self amalgamating tape.
I still have dielectric lying around from my days working with Dish/DirectTV. The worst part of the install will be getting the cat5e to the garage. It's only about 20' to the garage, but I'm burying the cable. I need to get some in there anyway, along with some coax. Should've done it when I built the house, but I wasn't thinking ahead.

Reaction score
If you don't need audio, check out the 2231 and save a few dollars.
I didn't even see that model. I'll check into it. Sound isn't very important at 2 of the locations. I am still debating how to handle the front porch/deck. I thought about using something like Ring, but not sure how it would handle bad winter days. Nothing unheated will do well at -20F, but I could at least position a normal cam out of the direct wind.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Review-dahua-ipc-hdw2231rp-zs-starlight-camera-varifocal

Be sure to study the Cliff Notes
Most of these cams run fairly warm, I really doubt you need to worry much about your environment.
Mine and others have survived some very harsh weather, both winter and summer.
Just say no to anything requiring the cloud...IE Ring.
The Dahuas', Hik's and IPCT brands will handle the weather much better than any Ring.
From a cam mounted on my roof. 50-60mph wind.

Reaction score
Impressive footage. I wouldn't have expected to see much in a storm like that. Would've been cool to catch the funnel cloud that twisted off the top halves of some big pines in my back yard last year. I do want to avoid cloud, or even wifi dependant cams. I'll have a spare UPS backing up that part of the network, which is another reason I want Poe.