Indoor camera, philosophy

Ihbond

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so I will be setting up a couple of cameras around the house (not in rooms) just near stairs and common places. . I want to monitor in case a person falls , yes in my situation I have a person who lives there fall due to certain conditions...
I setup an Alexa IFTTT trigger for a sos, but I need to be able to see if I need to call ambulance or neighbor.
I am not setting this up for security artifacts , just want to be to check in in case a situation like that happens.
I know that If i used WDE to secure delayed recording or vpn, experienced folks can capture the packets and eventually see what is going on... I'm cool with that, he'll, I get the risk...working in systems integration for a small aerospace company. I hear some of the fun stuff out there and inside ..sorry.regressed.

So , two way audio? Is there any decenct to do Light communication via a hik or dahua cube cam?

i was thinking of using arduino to create network intercom, or pi-based.

Can I use POE nvr to use 2 way communication, or do indeed non Poe nvr with injected power.
Can I use BI to use 2 way communication?
DO I need to have a dedicated IP for the camera ?

I have been reading lots on this web, so if there is a seacrh or thread on this, please let me know...lots to suck in.

Thanks for any input

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2-Way comms via IP Cameras is not going to work as you think.. its really one way at a time; you can listen or talk but cant have both channels open at same time.. and there is a noticeable latency that makes it painfull to use (think talking on a satellite phone)

Use a VoIP Solution if you want a network intercom.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A wireless emergency pendant to an alarm panel or similar is more reliable than alexa...
z-wave pendants do exist, but may be a bit less reliable. There are also ways to interface a classical alarm system with a HA system or to connect it to the internet.

There is a company with this type of monitoring where the pendant has a sensor that can detect a fall, but it's a rip off and there are lots of false alarms on the sensors. But if it's for someone who can barely handle turning on a tv it might be appropriate.

The most reliable audio solution would be kind of old school, using audio verification devices for a wired alarm system and a land line phone (but they are a bit awkward to use). These audio alarm verification devices are also generally half-duplex, but they do have better amplification / mics than you'll typically find in a camera (without external audio in/out). Another feature used in alarm systems for this type of thing is inactivity monitoring, if the system isn't armed away and some amount of time passes without a zone changing states it phones home. You could easily do this with home automation devices.

Last edited:

Ihbond

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks both,
Tried to get that person to wear a charm around neck..yea. Easier to pull teeth..

VoIP intercom, is not a bad idea...in fact should be relatively easy to with what I have lying around...might just do this....

Full duplex would be ideal...I can use low voltage switching with alarm, and I wonder if dsc has a module..will have to check...

Thanks folks

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks both,
Tried to get that person to wear a charm around neck..yea. Easier to pull teeth..

VoIP intercom, is not a bad idea...in fact should be relatively easy to with what I have lying around...might just do this....

Full duplex would be ideal...I can use low voltage switching with alarm, and I wonder if dsc has a module..will have to check...

Thanks folks
Wireless emergency buttons exist in other form factors too, like watches and belt clips.
How old is "that person" roughly and do they live with you, a relative, or by themselves?
How big is the house roughly? Does "that person" need hearing aids?
Are there little grandkids running around the house at times?
How tech savvy is "that person"? a smartwatch might work for some people.

DSC does have an AAV module that actually works with other brands of alarm too. RTFM carefully to eval if it would be something you'd consider. VOIP is more powerful but may take quite a few phones to do the job.

Without something like a wireless panic button, a bunch of hardwired panic buttons in certain places (like the toe kick in the bathroom or even the hospital pull chain style) is an option. As far as sensors go some possibilities include: pet-immune motion sensors in bathrooms and at the top and bottom of the stairs; contact switches on the fridge, freezer, pantry; power draw sensors on the microwave / stove; water flow meter / read current meter.

I suppose loitering detection via camera in certain locations might work too.

If somebody was hurt badly they may not be able to activate alexa by voice.

Ihbond

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I see you point about Alexa. The person has a hearing deficit and can not hear certain frequencies (alarms). So Alexa could be hard to hear with background noises.
Will probably use cube camera along gentle persuasion to wear a necklace type device. I might try trip beams to initiate a sequence off the stairs. In a matter of time.. it sounds over kill but for that person it's worth it..