Infrared or not

hoppyumr

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, here I am "first time caller, long time listener." Okay, well maybe not that drastic. Anyway, I'm trying to decide between a few different cameras.

Let me first start off by saying I'm busy like lots of us are, and I don't really like the idea of having to maintain an additional thing around my house. I'm mainly doing this for my wife and family. That said, I know lots of people like the BI software, and it might be great, but it adds to my list AND it has a yearly subscription feed. I've been leaning more toward using an NVR and having HikVision cameras with their Hikconnect app, and possibly a hikvision NVR. Naively, I'm hoping there aren't any major Chinese security risks associate with it. I don't want to hand them the keys, but I also realize that if I'm the target, I don't stand a chance on my own

Anyway, so from Amaczon, I currently have an "Amcrest 5MP AI Turret IP PoE Camera w/ 49ft Nightvision, Security IP Camera Outdoor, Built-in Microphone, Human & Vehicle Detection, Active Deterrent, 129° FOV, 5MP@20fps IP5M-T1277EW-AI." It hasn't done abyssmally, but for the 1/2.7" sensor size and 0.005lux rating I'm sure there's better stuff out there.

I've been looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-XXXX variants. What I'm curious about is some of them are color with white light, and others have infrared, while others have speakers. Can someone tell me the benefits of the LIU variant with the infrared lights would be a benefit over the variants that have white light LEDS? This particular hikvision camera is a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor.

By an extreme comparison, I've also looked at the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2H-XXX and it's variants; this is an 8MP, 1/1.2" sensor size with a lux rating of .0008, supposedly. Only looking at it because of its 1/1.2" sensor size, otherwise I'd be avoiding. I know it is probably a little less sensitive than the 4mp version. Around most of our property we do have decent night-time light.

However, I've only started looking at cameras and have had only one sample, the Amcrest, to test. I'm hoping for some thoughts on the above. If anyone has any videos they can share that could be helpful.

I'm just trying to avoid making "temporary" purchases to find out something is entirely unusable.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i run DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU at home, day time is awsome, night time i would be better of 1/1.2 but im running IR in night time and run whitelight on event only

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know lots of people like the BI software, and it might be great, but it adds to my list AND it has a yearly subscription feed.
For the record, Blue Iris does NOT impose "a yearly subscription fee."

Once your initial copy (license) is paid for, installed and activated on a PC you are entitled to 1 year of updates, which are optional.
After 1 year, should you decide you want to update BI, an a maintenance fee is charged that gives you another year of updates.
The annual maintenance fee is much less than the initial license fee.

I have not paid a maintenance fee or updated my BI is over 2 years because it is working fine and does everything I require of it. :cool:

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would get this kit. It’s the most recommended camera on this site. Get the NVR with the POE ports as it’s simple to setup. Also, you will have a ton of support on this site and Andy to help you through any issues. I have this exact kit and couldn’t be happier.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
And to clarify some more about the BI support/maintenance fee. If you go a period of time without paying the annual support/maintenance fee and later want to pay for another 12 mo of support/maintenance, the 12 mo period will start on the day you make the purchase and continue for the next 12 months. There is no effort to recapture "unpaid" support time. In other words, you can go years without paying the annual support fee and then pay a year's fee and get the next 12 months covered and get caught up to the current release within the same major release version as your license, without any issues.

Last edited: