Inside camera recommendation for 1 cam coverage

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, Looking for the"perfect cam" to replace my beginner level Foscam PTZ for viewing a wide living room, front entry and hallway.

So I'll need a wide FOV (to see as much as I can by default) and \ or PTZ (maybe 4x most I'll need to see down the hall?) to move to other areas outside of that range now and then, like specifically pointing to the front door or down the hall at times when necessary.

There are a lot of fixed up to 170 deg things out there like Nest cam and a decent Hickvision variant, but that still won't get me full coverage or zoom-ability...(for when I want to see what rodent the cat is really eating in the hall and other curious nonsense.)

Also needs to be able to have good back light compensation \ WDR ( per suggestion I received about wash out from the wall of windows).
My less than optimal placement is the only option to have access to view all the areas I want to see with just one cam just happens to have a big wall of south facing windows in the main view throwing in a lot of light during the day, and the hallway view is of course going to be dark at the end at least if no zoom or IR is applied. So looking for a good IR coverage and throw that would light up the end of the hall when focused there.

I would also like something that offered me the ability to change \ optimize settings for day\night\IR use...not sure how much that would be in-cam firmware requirement and\or something like BI controls for switching settings at a certain time. (Have only used a BI basic demo so far but at the moment that will be my planned PC NVR tool I think).

Proper coverage probably really requires more than one camera but I don't want the inside of my house looking like a bank with cams all over. Just one on each level with the ability to see \ move focus on as many major access points as possible.

With that in mind, also looking for low profile, inconspicuous, tasteful (Wife's requirements), so it is not so obvious & neighbors don't "feel like they are being recorded" when they are over for a party or something...(already had our cat sitter quit on us when they saw the Foscam while out on vacation...people can be weird about that stuff.). So probably thinking some sort of ceiling mount mini dome\turret...not finding any PTZ Turrets (no glass bubble) though for some reason?

I have attached a basic floor plan layout showing the camera placement, (red X) and necessary coverage area, (in green) I want to accomplish as best possible with one camera. I am not expecting to get the entire area in the static view, mind you, just as much as possible...say typically pointed at the front entry and hall entry\part of living room, (as the Foscam does now), would me most important..but ability to pan and set on other areas when desired.

Layout.jpg

So with all that criteria \ info in mind, would someone mind throwing out a few cam suggestions based on their use and experience?
I'm open to any\all options, opinions, not just what I'm visualizing here.

Thanks!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks
Kind of clunky size...Would pref a lower profile as possible...Maybe I could paint the black part white to blend with the ceiling...otherwise it would be too obvious IMO.

I hear a lot of good stuff about Dahua but just getting into this, I'm kind of adverse to using Chinese firmware \ Ali overseas suppliers...Don't have the experience like a lot of others here to chance all the issues these can have.

Are there no true "Western Version" firmware \ suppliers for Dahua cameras like there are for Hickvision,(Wrightwood, LTS, Nelly's)?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks
Kind of clunky size...Would pref a lower profile as possible...Maybe I could paint the black part white to blend with the ceiling...otherwise it would be too obvious IMO.

I hear a lot of good stuff about Dahua but just getting into this, I'm kind of adverse to using Chinese firmware \ Ali overseas suppliers...Don't have the experience like a lot of others here to chance all the issues these can have.

Are there no true "Western Version" firmware \ suppliers for Dahua cameras like there are for Hickvision,(Wrightwood, LTS, Nelly's)?
What is the problem with "obvious?" What is your thinking regarding "obvious?"

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
By that I mean the wife does not want anything too vusible, easily focused on when walking in the room.
Of course it cannot be invisible with these requirements but tall profile, blank and white against a white ceiling would draw one's focus more is all.
...you kniw...wouldn't want to ruin the decor if favir of safety and security God forbid.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO "obvious" is a good thing bro. Obvious causes the BadGuys to go somewhere else. Obvious puts people on their best behavior. Obvious is a powerful preventative. Obvious is a deterrent. Why do you want a camera inside the house? Once the BGs are inside it's too late for anything except violence or submission.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO "obvious" is a good thing bro. Obvious causes the BadGuys to go somewhere else. Obvious puts people on their best behavior. Obvious is a powerful preventative. Obvious is a deterrent. Why do you want a camera inside the house? Once the BGs are inside it's too late for anything except violence or submission.
Yeah, I totally get that...I plan to have cams on the outside of the house placed more obvious as the preventative...
My reasons for wanting a cam in the house...
Primarily just extra insurance...because from most every sample video I've seen, positive facial \ individual identification chances are way better with an inside cam pic vs. outside due to typically better lighting, lower placement \ closer proximity, (8ft-10 ft ceiling vs up in the eve of a house).
Other reasons not as serious as perp ID the , like keeping the babysitter honest, did my bro-in-law with a key come take another garden tool, which cat just pee'd on the floor when I was out.