Install + 3 weeks

inference

n3wb
Reaction score
3 weeks since I installed my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and I get this

[If video doesn't work, try here: shared]

Fortunately, after trying the door handle they left my car alone. A number of victims further up the street weren't so lucky.

I haven't really tried to optimize the fov, focus or other settings yet. Does anyone have suggestions so that I can get even better footage if there's a next time?

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Zoom in to get that bush out of the view, or trim it back.. it's reflecting a lot of IR possibly causing the background/street to be dark. And those round bumper reflectors the X-Trail has aren't helping either. We had those SUVs in Canada, guys in the USA might not know what they are looking at. Try parking forwards/right side up?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ha! yes, i was wondering why the punk didn't try the driver's side. heehee...

but yeah, you could zoom in a bit more and/or aim further right to remove the bush.
as Walrus mentioned, less glare from the bush will allow better visibility out beyond it...

the glare from the license plate and reflectors could be minimized by reducing gain
and/or using external IR source a few feet away from the camera, but not too bad as-is.
might play with a bit of WDR there, to prevent the glare from blowing out the details in the background...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just zooming in won't reduce glare from the bush very much (but it may help the camera balance exposure better). Besides in this case it looks more like the vehicle itself is causing most of the glare.