installation best practice

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi
could people please share any installation best practices
thanks

Reaction score
It appears no one has responded to your request.

This forum has some wonderfully talented people who will help immensly, but you need something for them to go by. Tell them what you have to start with, what you would like to end up with and they will help you fill in the how to get there part.

It is what I used when I did s/w. What you want, what you got and how do you get there.
Best of luck.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do not use wifi
I see this posted a lot on this forum, especially when a new member inquires about purchasing their first cam, and just wanted some additional clarification if possible. Just to preface, I have no "horse in this race" as I do not have any wifi cameras (all 12 of mine are wired).

So with the following criteria in mind:

Today's IP cam's bandwidth is anywhere from 5-8Mbps and wireless speeds of N being maybe 70-80Mbps (real life) and AC being maybe 100-150Mbps real life...is it really that big of a deal if someone runs 1 or 2 or heck maybe even 3 wireless IP cams with which "should" only total 20-25Mbps of bandwidth out of your total?

Just trying to figure out where the issue comes in...other than the obvious if you have a lot of other wireless resources in your home eating up bandwidth (Netflix streaming, etc)?

Not trying to start a debate but honestly wanting to know what I am missing here.....just looking to get educated:)

Thanks...

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
keep the cameras on there own network, fixed cable to the camera avoid using wifi cameras, high speed wifi bridges are a good way to link remote buildings.

CHANGE ALL OF THE DEFAULT LOGIN DETAILS :) using complex passwords :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons why wifi is not good for security cameras.

1) Signal strength often sucks because the camera is outside while the access point or router is inside and usually far away.
2) RF interference is unpredictable and very common. Combined with a poor signal strength, this causes a very poor / intermittent connection.
3) A wifi camera itself is a strong source of interference for everything else trying to use the same radio frequency.
4) Wifi communication is relatively easily disrupted. Not that any run-of-the-mill burglar is going to try to jam your wifi ... but they could if they wanted to.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons why wifi is not good for security cameras.

1) Signal strength often sucks because the camera is outside while the access point or router is inside and usually far away.
2) RF interference is unpredictable and very common. Combined with a poor signal strength, this causes a very poor / intermittent connection.
3) A wifi camera itself is a strong source of interference for everything else trying to use the same radio frequency.
4) Wifi communication is relatively easily disrupted. Not that any run-of-the-mill burglar is going to try to jam your wifi ... but they could if they wanted to.
Appears like the main culprit here is a combo of signal strength / interference rather than them eating up bandwidth.

Makes perfect sense....Thanks for clarifying....appreciate it!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well part of it is also that a poor connection will use more airtime due to all the retransmitting that needs to occur to get the data through.

h901

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

What I meant was general best practices, for example someone told me it's best not to use cable ties to secure cables but to rather use Velcro, If that makes sense

Last edited:

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah, you mean physical install details, not choice of cameras. For keeping cables in place, I like the little nail-in cable clips https://www.amazon.com/Your-Cable-Store-Ethernet-6mm/dp/B00481IPZY but I don't know if that's a "best practice". Strictly speaking, for any exposed outdoor runs I think it is best to put cables in some kind of conduit. I haven't done that myself, but it's a more professional approach.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Put in my first exterior ethernet wires last weekend.
I decided if the wires are up out of reach, like under the eaves, I will just run the wires and use clips to hold them in place, but if they come down the wall within easy reach, I'll put them in conduit. Not sure if its a best practice, but it makes sense to me.
I used plastic conduit. Cheap, and easy to work with. Real easy to cut with a jigsaw. I did use metal clips to hold the conduit down, for durability.
1/2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Schedule 40 Conduit-67447 - The Home Depot

One ethernet cable fits in a 1/2" conduit, if you want to run a couple you need 3/4".

And to run an ethernet cable through an exterior wall, this bit worked well
Bosch 5/16 in. Multipurpose Tungsten Carbide Drill Bit for Drilling Tile, Masonry, Wood, Metal, and Concrete-MP09 - The Home Depot

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
plastic conduit will sag over time; I recommend Galvanized EMT Conduit instead.. its easier to paint and not susceptible to UV damage.. and you can bend it into all sorts of shapes without a bunch of joints.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
With my "out of reach" rule, most of my runs will be vertical, so sagging should not be an issue, and I'm too lazy to redo what I did yesterday :)

But if I ever add a significant amount of conduit, I guess I'll use the metal stuff.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
best practice is to use PVC underground and Rigid EMT everywhere else.. if your worried about someone cutting your cables because they are within reach all they need is a good pair of dikes or one of these: Finger Release Ratcheting PVC Cutter ; which by the way is much easier than using a jigsaw and produces very clean, squared cuts w/no burrs.

if you use nice cameras w/metal cases and you mount them to a metal junction box with a EMT conduit run, its very easy to ground em properly and that could help your network survive a nearby lightning strike alot.. Low Voltage wiring standards allows for you to use compression fitted EMT conduit as a chassis ground.. presumign you bond it to a ground somewhere along the run... this can also help alot in electrically noisy environments such as warehouses/shops with alot of fluorescent or halogen lighting ballasts, welders, etc; its like putting the ethernet cable in a faraday cage; EMI wont fuck w/it.

Last edited: