Installation question (cable related)

AngryToast

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am about to install two POE Amcrest cameras on the exterior of my home. I don't have the option to run the cables inside my home then drill a hole to pop the just the cat5 cable part out to the camera, leaving the unused 12v adapter inside.

Instead, I need to mount the camera and run the cable down to the basement and run into my gear from there. The challenge is the 12v pigtail coming out of the camera. I'll use the CAT5 cable connection and the cover they include - so that will be nice and weather proof. I just don't know what to do w/ the 12v Plug that I won't be using (the part I circled below.)

Clearly I don't want to leave it exposed to the weather. Should I just cut it off and wrap it up?

Curious what others have done.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 5.14.14 PM.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd wrap with "coax seal" / self-vulcanizing rubber tape with 1 piece over the end, pinch it closed then start a new wrap starting a the end of the 12VDC connector then up the connector to where it meets the cable and overlap the cable by a good 1", then run a TIGHT layer of 3M 33+ or 88 electrical tape over all of that to accelerate the curing process; leave the electrical tape on.