Insteon servers alternatives

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As some of you know Insteon has shut down its cloud operation leaving many without any automation as I found out last week. By no means am I an expert on this topic but luckily I was able to get my system back up using the Home Assistant app and the original Insteon hub, getting all the automation back up as it once functioned with Insteon.

I used an old windows 8 machine to run the Home Assistant application/server.

There are two methods to running the Home Assistant app I ran it locally by using the HASSWP which is a portable version and without "supervisor" capabilities or you can run the full version using any virtual machine.

These are ready made VM images for the appropriate OS, if going with a VM, Virtual Box seems to be most popular. After installing your VM dowload and run the appropriate image Installation

I went with the portable version which runs just fine and much faster and easier to install without a VM. I believe the supervisor version is able to add addons of many widgets such as Alexa and other integrations and softares from many companies something I did not need.

The method I used is outlined here How to use Insteon devices without a cloud connection - Set up Home Assistant on Windows

With this, you just need to:

1. Download HassWP.zip from GitHub - AlexxIT/HassWP: Portable version of Home Assistant for Windows (no need to install) This is for win 8 and later, for win 7 and older use the older version link.
  2. Unpack
  3. Run Hass.cmd (it will just be hass if you don't have extensions visible)

When you run Hass, everything will auto-install, and Home Assistant will load up in your browser under a local IP address such as 127.0.0.1:8123

1. You will then need to create the account ( locally) and follow the set-up process.
  2. Home Assistant should automatically detect devices on the network that are compatible.
  3. If Insteon isn’t automcaticalyl identified:
  4. Add Insteon under configuration –> devices and services –> add integration : Insteon
  5. Find the IP address of the hub (I use Advanced IP scanner), and it should be listed as Smartlabs inc, and the username and password is on the sticker on the bottom of the hub
  6. If any devices are missing, you can:
    • Go to Developer Tools and click the Services tab
    • In the box that brings up, use these settings:
    • Service: Insteon: Add all links
    • Group: 0
    • Mode: Controller
    • Use the Call Service button
    • Go to the device (within about 3 minutes) and press the Settings button (or press and hold – it may vary by device – check the instructions)

I think now Lutron switches and bridge is the way to go for any future automation projects which I once had using the wink app and hub

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Why
I think now Lutron switches and bridge is the way to go for any future automation projects which I once had using the wink app and hub
Why not go Z-Wave/Zigbee now that you have HA set up? Gives you a lot more options. Hue works great too and is easy and reliable in HA.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We had 25 Inteson switches and on another property the Lutron switches. Which z-wave or Zigbee switches would you be referring to? I really like the quality of the Lutron switches and their ease of purchase whether online or from local stores.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you use Insteon and don't already have something that provides a USB or RS-232 interface, buy one ASAP.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... you already have the Lutron. Yes, they are good. Stick with that if you like and have for switches. Lots of different options for Z-wave/Zigbee for other things and can always do separately with HA.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Lutron dimmers are excellent and even though they use a proprietary protocol, I think its cloud service is here to stay. Its downside as you point out is that you cant add any Z-wave or Zigbee devices to its hub, maybe these frequencies and protocols will be added in future gen hubs.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Lutron kind of has its thing and that's what it does. Been that way forever. Wouldn't count on them adding anything. Easy enough to put a Zwave/Zigbee stick in your machine if/when you want.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a heads up their servers are up and many have indicated the vast majority of the smart application is operational.