Intel NUC10 i7 is fairly solid

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wanted to let people know that I recently got a Chromebox3 and tried to run Tiny Cam Pro app with 15 cameras. It struggled real bad to keep up with the frame rates, even in substream mode.

So then I returned that and picked up a more powerful 10th-generation i7-10710U Intel NUC10 kit. I strapped in a Samsung NVMe SSD and Kingston 16GB SSD and loaded Windows 10 Pro. Then I fired up SmartPSS (enabled hardware decoder) and force it to main-stream on all 15 cameras. 3 of the cameras are 4K and 6 are in 4MP. The rest are 1080P. Wow, this thing is very solid and no hiccup.

This is Intel's 10th generation i7-10710U 6-core processor rated at a low 25w TDP, and base frequency is 1.1GHz with turbo boost up to 4.7GHz. I was very worried that 1.1Ghz wasn't going to be enough but this processor completely blows my mind. My current desktop is a i7-4770K 4-core 3.5GHz/(3.9Ghz turbo-boost) and the PCMark score is higher with the i7-10710U than the i7-4770K.

Now, I just need to buy a touch-screen monitor...

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What program are you using to view the streams?

I'm using a RPI3 with rpisurv because when it boots it shows the streams immediately without any user input.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm using Smart PSS.

Trust me, I have tried it all except Blue Iris. I have tried the following:

1) iPad + Live Cam Pro (very stable, but iPad battery blows up after 1.5 yrs being plugged in 100% state-of-charge. LCP app is now dead, an otherwise superb app.
2) Samsung tablet + TinyCam Pro (same potential battery issue as IPad. Inconsistent frame-rate with TinyCam Pro)
3) Asus Chromebox3 + TinyCam Pro (chromebox is still slow, leading to stuttering frame rate in TinyCam Pro)
4) Direct HDMI->RJ45->HDMI from Dahua NVR to 1080P screen (the most reliable, but no touch screen support, what a bummer)
5) RaspberryPi + DispalyCameras(OMXPlayer) + 9 cameras. (It seemed very reliable at first, but then a few hours in, the entire feed would hang. Again, no touch screen support)

which finally brings me to the most viable option today:

6) Low power, Intel i7-10710U + Windows10 + any touchscreen monitor + SmartPSS. (responsive, fast, no frame-rate stuttering, and switches from substream to full-screen main-stream 4k very fast)

SvenVD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using Smart PSS.

Trust me, I have tried it all except Blue Iris. I have tried the following:

1) iPad + Live Cam Pro (very stable, but iPad battery blows up after 1.5 yrs being plugged in 100% state-of-charge. LCP app is now dead, an otherwise superb app.
2) Samsung tablet + TinyCam Pro (same potential battery issue as IPad. Inconsistent frame-rate with TinyCam Pro)
3) Asus Chromebox3 + TinyCam Pro (chromebox is still slow, leading to stuttering frame rate in TinyCam Pro)
4) Direct HDMI->RJ45->HDMI from Dahua NVR to 1080P screen (the most reliable, but no touch screen support, what a bummer)
5) RaspberryPi + DispalyCameras(OMXPlayer) + 9 cameras. (It seemed very reliable at first, but then a few hours in, the entire feed would hang. Again, no touch screen support)

which finally brings me to the most viable option today:

6) Low power, Intel i7-10710U + Windows10 + any touchscreen monitor + SmartPSS. (responsive, fast, no frame-rate stuttering, and switches from substream to full-screen main-stream 4k very fast)
Hi SvenVD/rpisurv does have basic touch screen support. Also Rpisurv 3 has just been released which now uses vlc player as backend. Maybe worth a second try?

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@MakeItRain Do you use the Live view or the Video Wall feature?

The bad thing with Live view is that i have to rearrange the streams each time i open the SmartPSS, and i can't configure the vide wall at all...

My idea is to have a RPISurv like monitoring system, but with 20 cams (in a 4 x 5 configuration), eirther substreams or mainstreams.