Intermittant Issues

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently switched location of my NVR, and therefore purchased a POE switch for the cameras. The switch I am using is the Netgear GS316PP which is a POE+ switch. I was thrown for a loop for a while until I realized that the subnet that the cameras needed to be on was 10.1.1.1, instead of their original subnet. So, once I got that figured out, most of the cameras came online, although one of them will only power on with the use of a Ubiquiti POE (af) Injector I have. When I plug it back into the switch, it is dead. I checked the cable, and even plugged a new camera at that location, and it works fine. Can anyone understand what might be going on? Also, the one that required the POE injector will not keep the static IP that I am trying to assign it. I did a factory reset via button and software, and the button did nothing, and the GUI didn't change the IP to factory... And this and one other camera drop in and out on the monitor. Sometimes it says "Failed to fine network host" and then will come back after a few minutes. Sometimes it stays off longer. And sometimes it is just a black box. I attached photos of the errors.

The equipment I have are as follows...

NVR - NVR5216-16P-4KS2
Cameras: IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

20240824_173232.jpg
TIA,

Mike

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait, are the cameras plugged into the Netgear switch?
And previous they were pligged into the NVR PoE ports directly?

When plugged into the NVR, they will be default use the internal switch of the NVR and be given IP's of 10.1.1.x

On your Netgear switch, they should be given IP's of your LAN that the switch is connected to..

Did you plug the Netgear into one of the PoE outputs of the NVR? If so, after 2-3 cameras you'll run out of power thus your one camera that needs an external power supply

The NVR should be plugged into the Netgear switch using the one NVR LAN port, , the cameras should also be plugged into this switch and will all need to be given unique IPs on the LAN that the switch is plugged into, likely something like 192.168.1.X

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Correct, I have 9 cameras, and they were previously plugged into the NVR, and now they are plugged into the switch, since I moved my NVR into my cooler office, and all my camera drops were in a hot garage. The Netgear switch has a total output of 183w for POE, and I think something like 30w max per port, so that should be plenty, I would think. My switch is plugged into the LAN port of the NVR, and one of the NVR ports is plugged into my router on a separate VLAN in the 10.0.50.x subnet. All cameras are static IPs and in the 10.1.1.x subnet. I guess I don't understand even if I had the switch plugged into one of the NVR ports why it would limit to 3 cameras, when the switch should be taking over the POE function...

So, I just verified by removing the POE injector and plugging directly into the switch again, and nothing. I have plugged a different camera in the same location of one of the cameras in question, and it functions fine without the POE injector, so I am stumped. Also, the one on the POE injector is one of the ones that gives me the "Failed to find network host" error once in a while. I started thinking that maybe one of the POE+ lines in the camera maybe dropped, and therefore less current supplied, but I figured that would deem the same results with or without the POE injector...

I hope this helps, and makes sense... ;)

Mike

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I understand your layout better

What I was getting at is that the pie ports of the NVR will only handle about 3 cameras each.

I guess I don’t understand how you’re using the 10.1.1.x range (same range the NVR internal ports use) on the Netgear switch?

But I’m not a network guru and am now at the edge of my knowledge.

I can’t get my head around this part:

My switch is plugged into the LAN port of the NVR, and one of the NVR ports is plugged into my router on a separate VLAN in the 10.0.50.x subnet. All cameras are static IPs and in the 10.1.1.x subnet

parallon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there. So I attached a layout of my setup (generic). I am using VLANs (Virtual LAN) to separate the cameras from the rest of my network. On my NVR, In the Network > TCP/IP section, I have my NIC set to 10.0.50.101 and the gateway as 10.0.50.1. In the Network > Switch, the IP address is 10.1.1.1 with the gateway being the same. The switch just passes the subnet from the NVR to the cameras, so the cameras are on the 10.1.1.1 subnet.
Network Layout.png
20240826_204125.jpg
20240826_204201.jpg

In the following pics, you can see how the 10.1.1.71 (D5) is there at one moment (didn't get a pic of actual view), and then it is either error or blank. This is the camera that will keep resetting to 10.1.1.71. And funny thing, that might be where part of the issue lies. This morning, I double clicked on the monitor to view this camera in full view, and it came up with the image from another camera that just disappeared the other day, which should have been 10.1.1.118 D6 (which you can see in my original post). That got me thinking that maybe that camera somehow reset to 10.1.1.71 and now I am having an IP conflict. Do you know if 10.1.1.71 is the default starting range for the cameras? Something tells me that I read somewhere that the range for DHCP on the cameras started in that area somewhere. Not sure why my static IPs aren't sticking... I even set them up in Palemoon browser (32 bit version), like others say works...

There.png
Not There2.png
Not there again.jpg

Mike