Internal vs. external POE switch

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
To me this looks like another classic "no obvious answer" question. Maybe those with more experience can help expand my list of tradeoffs.

Favoring internal POE:
1. Easier system setup.
2. Probably costs less than separate NVR and POE switch.

Favoring external POE switch:
1. If the NVR part breaks, you don't have to throw the POE switch away.
2. If the POE switch part breaks, you don't have to throw the NVR away.
3. Less heat in the NVR, should help with reliability.
4. More flexibility for troubleshooting (e.g can talk direct to camera if need be).

What I don't have a feel for is the network traffic, assuming a simple network with a router connecting to the ISP and a single switch behind it. With internal POE, the cameras connect to the NVR box which connects to the network's switch. With external POE, the cameras connect to the POE switch, which connects to the network's switch, which connects to the NVR. If you're running live preview on a computer, the image has to go from camera, to POE switch, to network switch, to NVR, to network switch, to computer. Doesn't this create a lot of undesirable extra network traffic? Will it compromise the operation of the network, create a bottleneck at the NVR's network port, or is it just a nit in the big picture of things? What other issues am I overlooking?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A separate switch gives you more flexibility. For example I was originally looking for an 8 port POE since I was originally only looking for 6 cameras. After looking around and comparing things I decided to buy a nice 24 port POE managed switch on eBay for less then the 8 port would have been which allows me to power all of my cameras, even if I decide to add more, plus I can power other things as well. Currently looking into IR illuminators. Basically all I'd have to do is run one more Cat5/6 cable, buy a 12v and boom, I can power both the light source and the camera without having to mess with electrical wiring. It'll all be powered by my switch. Another idea is adding a NAS to offload videos/pictures or whatever. I currently record direct to a PC, but the idea of putting a NAS on my network for cloud storage for myself and my family is pretty appealing after reading about how some people here use them.

Also, just given what you've typed, NVR's that offer PoE are limited by expansion. Meaning if you buy one, make sure theres a separate port to connect to the network. Not all of them have it and if u are planning on 8 cameras, you're gonna have to lose one to connect the NVR to your router. Also be advised if you try and add more cameras later, the NVR will be useless because it can only record 8 channels at one time although that's one con of NVR's instead of PC's in general.

Just a few more comments. Most of this stuff is simple enough that once u set the camera up the first time, its almost plug and play. If you browse around on eBay you can get business grade switches for cheaper then brand new switches with a lot less ports and they work just as well. Heat from a PoE NVR might be a bit higher but not enough to really affect long term performance.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip about a used business switch as opposed to a new consumer switch. The "bang per buck" comparison is almost astronomical, and I could care less if the case is scratched up. Between Cisco, Netgear, etc., I could go nuts making a choice. Recommendations are welcome! I'd be going for a 24 port switch to use with a 16 channel NVR.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ya eBay is awesome for this kinda thing. I went with a Cisco CRW224G4P. Managed switch with 24 ports, 4 of which are gigabit (only using 2 so far, one to then Router, one to my BI PC), which is basically all I need with the amount of cameras I have. I may upgrade to a switch with more Gigabit ports eventually but right now its perfect, I have no issues.

Only complaint about this model is that its LOUD. High pitch whine almost, luckily I can shut the door to the laundry room where its located and not hear it elsewhere but its def something worth noting. Maybe someone else here can give you some better info on it.