Intro to Synology DiscStations and Surveillance Station

iamnothim

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,
New guy here, very glad I found ya’ll. I’ve been winging it so far. The results for my five camera system has been ok but I want to replace my cornerstone, street cam and the timing of finding this forum has been fortuitous. I’m starting fresh picking that cam but I’m 80% on a Dahau.

I also consider using Synology Surveillance Station for managing my cams as fortuitous because I was looking for a NAS backup solution and I got bunch more. Prior I had Security Spy. It was ok and Ben's support was good. But nothing like Synology.

I figured I’d use this thread to post some screen shots so you can see what Synology is all about. I’m not so good at this so it’ll probably wander a bit. Synology is a very large company Offices in 6 countries, HQ in Taiwan. Six million installations. Small to huge storage solutions for cloud etc. VPN, Security. What I like is I configured this box for redundant 10TB drives and I found out I got all of this great software essentially for free. Now the Surveillance Station includes 2 cam licenses after that they are $50 ea. Synology claims support for over 7,600 cameras. They have a nifty iPhone/android app that takes your live phone recordings in the field and streams them straight to your NAS for safe keeping. I took a screenshot of the apps. I have found them quite easy to instal and very stable. There is a sophisticated encryption keys and key management package. There is also “PLEX” media server for movies, music, TV, etc. and everything in between. All these run right on the NAS box. Which in my case has an Intel Celeron CPU. They don't touch your PC or Mac. At least not the 6-8 I've tried.
In short from your perspective you’d get a camera management platform plus a huge file storage system. Anyway something you might want to take a peek at. I put a bunch of screenshots of cam captures, application packages and Plex Media server music screens in a Flickr Album for you to take a look at.
Luke
These are the parts that made up my NAS:
Synology DS720+ Base 2 Bay unit
Synology Disk Stations
Toshiba 10TB 7200rpm Drives
Samsung 1TB SSD Cache Memory

PLEX Media