Intrusion Detection Regions And Small Animals

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to fine tune my setup and the one aspect I am struggling with is the amount of event triggers I am seeing from cats entering an intrusion zone. I have made sure to set the minimum detection size to larger than a small animal (and the maximum size to larger than a person), but intrusion events are still being triggering by cats. Could this be due to the sensitivity being set at 60% (the threshold is set a 0 seconds), so the minimum box size would need to be almost double the size of a cat otherwise an event will always be triggered when the whole cat is within the intrusion zone?

Or, is this a scenario where I should setup a couple of regions butted up to one another with the minimum detection size gradually increasing within regions which are closer to the camera?

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Replay a recording with the IVs rules enabled. Do one with a human and one with a cat. Look at how big it draws the box around both.

The box the camera will draw on a subject is very often bigger than the object itself, sometimes quite a bit bigger especially smaller objects. So you need to make your minimum size bigger than the box the camera draws, not just bigger than the object yours trying to exclude.

It's funny, as there is quite a size difference between a cat and human, but it can be a fine line between big enough to exclude cats and small enough to catch all humans.

EViS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply cd36. I am already doing everything you have advised. But maybe I just need to keep increasing the minimum size...?

Just so I am clear, in regards to the minimum size box, is the size calculated by the total box area (and not the minimum width or height of the box)? e.g. If an object is narrower but taller than the minimum drawn area, as long as it's total area is equal to or greater than the minimum drawn area, it will trigger positively?

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is something I am actually not clear on, as there seems to be a difference between the Web Interface and the SmartPSS Interface.

Using SmartPSS I usually get a couple options for setting up IVS rules the Web Interface doesn't have such as:

Width & Height/Width or Height selection - This to me makes it sound like it is asking if I want the IVS Rule to use both Width & Height or Width or Height for determining if an object fits inside your Min/Max sizes. I believe this would answer your question, but I haven't seen this option in the Web Interface.

Sensitivity - I've seen lots of people talk about this on the forum, and it is there in SmartPSS, but I have not found in in the Web Interface yet. I assume these settings are Low (Slider to left) needs a large disturbance and High (Slider to the right) needs a small disturbance to trigger the IVS rule, but I don't actually know what it is looking for. Is it looking for how long the object is triggering the IVS rule?

I believe these two settings can help you, but it would be good to have some clarification on them.