IP cam blackout 3. party on Raymarine Axiom chart plotter.

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m using two 4k. as 3. Party cams on my boat with Raymarine Axiom chart plotter, setup according to Raymarine protocol. This has been function well for a 5 years. Lately one cam started going black and I thought this was ”end of life“ and replaced with a spare.
But, worked for a week and then went black again, hmmm.. both cams (the other one is still good) is connected through a switch, and when disconnecting the Ethernet cable from cam, and plugging back into switch picture is coming back. Then working fine for some days, for then going black again
Chart plotter has been turned one of approx 5-10 times in this period. DHCP ion chart plotter is set to Automatic.
I’m not using POE, 12v directly to cams.
Anyone who has any clue on what could be the issue here?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest trying these for now:
  • Encoding strategy: General (or Smart Codec: Off)
  • Encode mode: H264
  • Bitrate type: CBR (I believe "Fixed Bitrate" is the same as "CBR/Constant Bitrate".
  • Bit rate: 8192
  • Frame rate: 15 FPS
  • Frame interval: 15
When the cam goes black like that is there any way to have a PC or smartphone on the same LAN, even via Wi-Fi, and have it ping the camera's IP address?

Last edited:

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
I suggest trying these for now:
  • Encoding strategy: General (or Smart Codec: Off)
  • Encode mode: H264
  • Bitrate type: CBR (I believe "Fixed Bitrate" is the same as "CBR/Constant Bitrate".
  • Bit rate: 8192
  • Frame rate: 15 FPS
  • Frame interval: 15
When the cam goes black like that is there any way to have a PC or smartphone on the same LAN, even via Wi-Fi, and have it ping the phone's IP address?
Thanks, I’ll try this settings during the week. When cam goes black it doesn’t appear on connected devices on chart plotter or phone, but afterunplugging and plugging the rj45 cable it’s all good, picture back on chart plotter and on phone (XMEy)

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
short update,
trided swapping cables just to eliminate cable error. Cam is working after reconnectping, but the next day when starting chart plotter picture is gone, and it’s not visible in network status page.
im wondering if this has something to do with dhcp. Choices on chart plotter is, on, off or automatic.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes could be. Sounds like could be an IP conflict…when chart plotter is plugged in it uses the same default IP as the camera?

Try unplug camera, setting dhcp to off on chart plotter, then plug camera back in.

Ideally there would be a way to assign the chart plotter a static IP, and same with camera. Make sure they are different

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
I still wonder as in my post #4:
"When the cam goes black like that is there any way to have a PC or smartphone on the same LAN, even via Wi-Fi, and have it ping the camera's IP address?"

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish, and@Tony r. I've tried to connect but didn't succeed to get any of the two cameras up. This is a closed network. but I will try with a cable direct to cam.

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi again,
Done some testing connecting laptop to the computer. Managed to get the picture and connect up on the VMS tool, but still not viewing on plotter. Then i enabled DHCP on cam, and after that i cant get the picture back (not online)
Tough i do get response on ping and with IP search tool,
First i had this picture:
1718361878630.jpeg
Now its like this:
1718362037107.png
1718362066940.jpeg
1718362093834.jpeg

So first i need to get the picture back, then on the chart plotter.
Thanks a lot for your answer and sorry for my english an lack of correct words, hope you understand :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks bigredfish, and@Tony r. I've tried to connect but didn't succeed to get any of the two cameras up. This is a closed network. but I will try with a cable direct to cam.
I think the plotter has a DHCP server so when you bypass it and connect directly to camera your laptop may not be able to connect to it unless the camera has a static IP, that's why the cam sometimes shows 169.254.154.11 (that means no DHCP server available).

The last time the camera does show video look at its IP and write that down.
Connect to cam with laptop, log into it's webGUI with a browser and configure it with that same IP and make it static.
Observe the cam's live video for a time using that browser on the webGUI.
Move the cam from the laptop back to the plotter and reboot/restart the plotter.

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the plotter has a DHCP server so when you bypass it and connect directly to camera your laptop may not be able to connect to it unless the camera has a static IP, that's why the cam sometimes shows 169.254.154.11 (that means no DHCP server available).

The last time the camera does show video look at its IP and write that down.
Connect to cam with laptop, log into it's webGUI with a browser and configure it with that same IP and make it static.
Observe the cam's live video for a time using that browser on the webGUI.
Move the cam from the laptop back to the plotter and reboot/restart the plotter.
Ok, there is a choice on the plotter in the DHCP menu, ON/OFF/AUTOMATIC, which one to use?
Thanks again for replies, this helps a lot!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, there is a choice on the plotter in the DHCP menu, ON/OFF/AUTOMATIC, which one to use?
Thanks again for replies, this helps a lot!
Wow, they couldn't have made that less clear.

I would think that "OFF" would disable the DHCP server and you'd log into each camera BEFORE CHANGING it and make the current IP static and insure all cams AND the plotter have a unique static IP...then set plotter's DHCP server to "OFF" and "save" or "apply".

I am sorry I cannot be of more help!:idk:

Rauer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for suggestions, I’m away for the weekend and will do some testing next week, and I’ll get back with results