IP Cam works on 4G but not on outside WiFi networks?

Rondle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a HikVision setup that someone else installed who is no longer available. Everything works, I can view the camera's in the app when I'm on the same network the camera's are installed on or when I'm on 4G.
But when I'm on a different WiFi network I can't see them, I have to switch to 4G.

I'm a novice with IP Camera's and am not sure if I have to port forward the WiFi network I want to view from as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Security is not a concern for now. I have two routers in my home, the camera's are configured on network 1 and my PC is connected to network 2 (network 1 is just out of reach).
I just need to be able to access the camera's from network 2 using the iVMS application on PC.
The point is that the thread Looney posted will help walk you through the process of connecting the two networks. If the two networks are independent with unique gateways and routers, then ultimately the easiest way to access them is through the internet. It doesn't really matter if you are physically located in the same building or across the world. The concepts to gain access are the same. Security should be an important part of this as well since you will be using a public connection.