IP Camera, ceiling moutned, for people counting

MastrUsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!
I need a camera as small as possible that i can access directly through some protocol like rtsp or such... Framerate need to be atleast 25+ and resolution 720p for this to work i think. A small formfactor/"ceiling mountable" is also needed.

This is a jungle! Some cameras get updated and loose their direct streams... Pff.

Please help!!

Best regards,
Eric

Reaction score
Not sure if it's exactly what you are after (or what your budget is), but I saw in Dahua catalog one specifically made for people counting, not sure if it might change with their new catalog so check with @EMPIRETECANDY . I haven't seen a review of the model IPC-HDW8341X-3D around here. I'm sure the other camera makers have similar options.

MastrUsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure if it's exactly what you are after (or what your budget is), but I saw in Dahua catalog one specifically made for people counting, not sure if it might change with their new catalog so check with @EMPIRETECANDY . I haven't seen a review of the model IPC-HDW8341X-3D around here. I'm sure the other camera makers have similar options.
Thank you for the reply! That camera is WELL out of my budget Forgot to mention that this is a hobby project for my home automation. Want to track how many people are in the house.

Maybe I can lower my requirements..

Skickat från min SM-N960F via Tapatalk

Reaction score
Oh sorry about that, no budget specified so I took a stab at it. Maybe you could look at a couple of the AI threads on these forums and try out AI + Blue Iris + Super Cheap IP camera ? Maybe you have a computer already for home automation? that could run some AI/ML person detection?

I'm pretty sure that's all the cameras are doing is trying to build in quick and dirty video analytics to solve problems using their own horsepower.

MastrUsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh sorry about that, no budget specified so I took a stab at it. Maybe you could look at a couple of the AI threads on these forums and try out AI + Blue Iris + Super Cheap IP camera ? Maybe you have a computer already for home automation? that could run some AI/ML person detection?

I'm pretty sure that's all the cameras are doing is trying to build in quick and dirty video analytics to solve problems using their own horsepower.
I do have a computer running actually! I'm new here but I will try to find and look at the threads! Thanks :)

Super cheap ip camera just have normal IVS function, the people counting only on some some smart models.
This fisheye can do.
That was a nice camera, thanks, but a tad to expensive since I'm still only testing my concept. I was hoping for "super cheap" ;)

The people counting will be done on my computer/server.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will it be used at night, without light? Will it be inside or outside?

Assuming inside:

If your camera will not have access to internet, maybe an ELP IP camera or similar...again make sure it can't get to the outside world for security reasons. for example:
If you want to dig in, experiment and go cheap, maybe a Raspberry Pi or Pi Zero (wifi only), a Pi cam and make your own case. There are multiple cams out there for the pi...

MastrUsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Will it be used at night, without light? Will it be inside or outside?

Assuming inside:

If your camera will not have access to internet, maybe an ELP IP camera or similar...again make sure it can't get to the outside world for security reasons. for example:
If you want to dig in, experiment and go cheap, maybe a Raspberry Pi or Pi Zero (wifi only), a Pi cam and make your own case. There are multiple cams out there for the pi...

Thanks! That's more what I'm looking for. We'll see how things go! :)

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks! That's more what I'm looking for. We'll see how things go! :)

Heed warning about security issues with the ELP or similar looking devices, usually these are not mentioned/recommended (read amazon reviews) here. Best to keep it on it's own isolated VLAN and only allow the RTSP port thru.

MastrUsr

n3wb
Reaction score
Heed warning about security issues with the ELP or similar looking devices, usually these are not mentioned/recommended (read amazon reviews) here. Best to keep it on it's own isolated VLAN and only allow the RTSP port thru.
Will block internet access in router. I'll only use them for managing how many people are in the house at any time.