IP Camera configured as Webcam

romeroom

n3wb
Reaction score
Goal: Configure an IP Camera as a webcam to use over ZOOM, Google Meet, etc.

Hardware: Aukey VT-CM1 (I have not purchased this yet. It is available for $10 locally), Windows 10, Wireless network capable of dual band transmission up to 200 mbps depending on the band. A wired ethernet connection is also available.

User Level of expertise: Very little. I have modest experience with Windows based operating system. I have no experience configuring IP cameras; I've never owned one.

Additional Information: Our family uses ZOOM regularly to spend time with each other across the miles. Sometimes there s a group of 5 or more in a room in my home that are part of the session. A laptop based or external USB camera has been far from practical. I tried configuring my phone as a webcam using DroidCam and the result was less than optimal; while video quality was good, the feed was very choppy and delayed.

Preschool - Novice Questions
  1. Is the Aukey VT-CM1 any good for what I'm trying to accomplish? I want to stay away from anything very expensive.

2. I like the idea of setting up an IP or other wireless camera by my new 58" TV and leave it there. Am I asking too much of an indoor IP surveillance camera configured as webcam?

3. Do you have any software recommendations?
There are a number of YouTube videos and other web content that promise great results when configuring an IP camera as a Webcam for video conferencing. A random review of forums on the internet on the subject brought me here. You are all very impressive in knowledge and ability to communicate your expertise to novice individuals like me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:

romeroom

n3wb
Reaction score
never tried, but wyze team provided as an option. Wait to see what other members recommends

Thanks for responding with an idea.

At the risk of further disclosing my ignorance. It seems that the upgrading firmware is for a Wyze camera, which I guess I should consider purchasing if I want to use it. Also, at the end of the writing, it requires connection to the computer by USB cable. I guess for me, I would prefer a wireless connection.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

At the risk of further disclosing my ignorance. It seems that the upgrading firmware is for a Wyze camera, which I guess I should consider purchasing if I want to use it. Also, at the end of the writing, it requires connection to the computer by USB cable. I guess for me, I would prefer a wireless connection.
Makes no sense to do. All that's doing is replacing the firmware to make it run as a USB web cam plugged into a computer vs as an independent IP cam. If you have to buy the Wyse cam, then you could just buy an inexpensive web cam and likely end up with something better.

You're going to have to run the cam (independent or not) and Zoom software on something (likely not your TV). Generally, the way it works to make an IP cam work as an independent web cam (not connected via USB as above) is that there's a "pseudo-webcam" device that's created on some computer in a similar way that your phone worked as a web cam. But you still need to cast or otherwise get that back to your TV in some way.

Really easiest and probably best just to get a web cam and plug that into some laptop or other computer and then use the TV as a display for that.

Last edited:

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

understand, it needs to be connected through usb to your computer. During the webcam shortage, Wyze was a good alternative, available at your local Home Depot. There are available hardware to integrate hdmi video signals, using capture cards, including IP cams through RTSP streams. But probably you are looking for a simpler solution

romeroom

n3wb
Reaction score
Makes no sense to do. All that's doing is replacing the firmware to make it run as a USB web cam plugged into a computer vs as an independent IP cam. If you have to buy the Wyse cam, then you could just buy an inexpensive web cam and likely end up with something better.

You're going to have to run the cam (independent or not) and Zoom software on something (likely not your TV). Generally, the way it works to make an IP cam work as an independent web cam (not connected via USB as above) is that there's a "pseudo-webcam" device that's created on some computer in a similar way that your phone worked as a web cam. But you still need to cast or otherwise get that back to your TV in some way.

Really easiest and probably best just to get a web cam and plug that into some laptop or other computer and then use the TV as a display for that.
Thanks for the input. I go back and forth. I have an OK USB webcam, but it really suffer in terms of quality video feed when putting it at a distance to capture really well when there are a number of people spread in the room.

I understand the need to install some type of software on my laptop so that ZOOM will be able to choose the camera to use--the built in laptop camera (not good) an external USB webcam, or an IP camera.

Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this, given the limited options of what I'm trying to do.