IP camera in a wood shop need guru advice

jwd0695

n3wb
Reaction score
What would you suggest for keeping my camera dust free? Tried glass but I get a reflection from lights. Help.

Thanks

Joe

jwd0695

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply. I know I am not the first that ask this question. With that being said, there has to be a fix somewhere.

jwd0695

n3wb
Reaction score
I concur, get a better control on the dust itself. Running two systems now for dust control.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
How often after cleaning does the dust cause a problem? If it's not terribly often, mount some steel automotive brake line out of the line of sight of the camera lens but pointing at it. Then run the line to, say, a blowgun that takes the same size steel tubing for the blow line. I've made a number of blowgun extensions for cleaning hard-to-reach areas or for use cleaning floors without bending over. With the line mounted solidly, you should be able to mount the blowgun somewhere convenient but out of the way and just tap the handle once a day. If you'd prefer it automated, there are pneumatic solenoid valves that could be rigged up with one of the many smart home automation systems or even manually but remotely through some cameras themselves like activating the heater, wiper, fan, or whatever.

If you prefer a glass shield of some kind, try wiping it with dry newspapers.

jwd0695

n3wb
Reaction score
Great tip on the blowgun. Never thought of it I really like the idea of automation. Now to find this pneumatic solenoid and rig it up. Will be a good challenge

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup air is used in flame detectors in powder coating booths..they usually are a ring with holes constantly blowing air. Your choice to run always or periodically. Either way air needs to be clean or you will get residue from compressed air. It is usually where i look to check comp air quality..

Attachments

LonnieU

n3wb
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, an air purge is the best bet. I have used many type of air purged collars for industrial equipment such as thermal imaging cameras, laser marking equipment, etc., that have exposed lenses in dusty and dirty environments. Cannot find a good closeup of any of them or a good web search for such at the moment, but I have attached a picture of a thermal imager with such. This is typical of one using a sleeve inside another sleeve with about a 45 degree bevel between them and adjusted to get a thin film of air. The air pressure is normally 2-3 psi in my experience. Others I have used have been a collar with a series of small holes drilled around the inside, again with about a 45 degree angle outwards. And as said before, need "clean air". A micron filter and water trap a must. Probably something that could be made up in your shop and equipment out of PVC or such. Good Luck!

AirPurge.jpg