ip camera keep disconnecting/ network/ bandwith

tainted

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks asco, great tips. I will give them a shot.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
All cameras should always be assigned static IP addresses in the router AND in the camera. That way they never get the wrong address and you always know what each one is. It also eliminates the guessing of address conflict if it isn't that because it CAN'T be that if done properly. If the router allows, also exclude an area from the DHCP address pool solely for static IP addresses.

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
hi all my camera are configured to have an static ip i configure this from the nvr;
but never done any ip configuration from the router.
1. how to configure ip's for the camera from the router?

since i disable dhcp for the moment i havent had any probleme but we ll see with time.

2. i have many issues conecting from my iphone
sometimes it works sometimes not i can see "connecting..." but not online
and sometimes its connect well so dont think its access problem
i am using p2p view cam

does any one have an reliable ifone application that could work on my cameras?

thanks

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's an NVR the camera IPs are internal to the NVR if they don't go through the router first. Anything assigned in the NVR to cams attached directly to the NVR don't need static assignment in the router. I was talking about a computer-based camera management system before. If everything is assigned to the cameras statically in your NVR then it couldn't be IP address conflicts, right?

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
yes but camera , nvr and router are all on same router
if dhcp is enable on router it could give a computer the same ip than my camera
i think that what happen or could be a hardware camera probleme.

will see if the probleme happen again with dhcp disable.

thanks

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not absolutely positive how you have yours setup but if the NVR is connected to the router then possibly the router could assign an address conflict with the NVR but internal IP conflicts within the NVR shouldn't happen. Your NVR might become unavailable within the network if a conflict occurs with another device but individual cameras within the NVR should still be available to the NVR because the router doesn't assign those numbers inside the NVR, the NVR talks directly to the cameras without your router's involvement. The NVR, functionally a mini network system, will work and exist even if you unplug your router completely from the system, right? That means that the router doesn't do those IP assignments.

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
yes your right
but what happen if the router give a computer on my network the same ip adress than a camera?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If your router is anywhere vcose to being set up typically, the router is assigning numbers like 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x to everything connected to it, right?

The NVR will be talking internally to cameras with completely different numbers, say 123.321.1.x where X is the individual camera's number. The router will never assign a device a number through DHCP that isn't 192.168.1.x. Your NVR will be assigned an address like 192.168.1.9 so that other devices can talk to it through the router but the NVR basically does the talking to the cameras on the NVR's own set of numbers which are assigned internally by the NVR to the cameras. Nothing that is assigned by the router should ever conflict with a number assigned by the NVR to its own cameras, although an IP address conflict may knock out the entire the NVR from the network if the NVR gets conflicting numbers from the router with something else, say two things share 192.168.1.9 by accident somehow. The NVR will still be recording the cameras just fine internally, but nothing will be able to access the NVR from outside the NVR.

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
hi
my nvr adress:

my router:

my camera:
etc...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That doesn't seem right to me but I'm not really an NVR guy. I have one but it sits unused because I prefer the full meal deal of running things on a computer. My NVR doesn't use the same pool as other devices on the network though. I'd guess that if you set the DHCP pool in the router to, say, 192.168.1.26 and above for a 16 channel NVR that starts cam 1 at .10 you'd solve any conflict problems.

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear teami have some problems can anyone help me please1.is it possible to connect 2 mouse to 1 NVR? does a USB mouse splitter exist and can let 2 persons control 1 nvr?2.if i need to connect 2 nvr on same network do i have to use different port for each of them?thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it depends on your NVR largely.. plug 2 mice into it and see if they both work.. linux can handle it, but it depends if the software can cope with it.

each network device is going to consume a network port.. 2 NVR's will take 2 ports, 24 cameras will take 24 ports..

if your going to run multiple NVR's your better off with external PoE so you dont have to rewire the network to move cameras between recorders.

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
hi i manage to test with 2 mice working:)

question:
one of my client doesnt have internet connexion he can only use a 3G wifi usb key that have 10 giga free connection per month

is it possible to use the 3G key with a nvr to transmit the video?

how to calculate how many giga a 1.3 mega pixel ip camera use by hour?or month?

then i will know if the 10 giga are enough

thanks

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
hi i manage to test with 2 mice working:)

question:
one of my client doesnt have internet connexion he can only use a 3G wifi usb key that have 10 giga free connection per month

is it possible to use the 3G key with a nvr to transmit the video?

how to calculate how many giga a 1.3 mega pixel ip camera use by hour?or month?

then i will know if the 10 giga are enough

thanks

Reaction score
So he doesn't have a router, or he's unable to connect the NVR to the router? I don't think you would be able to connect a USB network device and it just work--would probably need to configure it, and that would require some interface in the UI or access to the command line. I could be wrong, though.

As far as bandwidth, not sure how accurate this is, but since it depends on your configuration settings it's probably more useful than me telling you. Just set it according to the quality settings he'll be using, 24hrs, 30 days, 1 camera, and realize that it'll probably be less than that unless he's constantly streaming the feed over his 3G connection.

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
hi
but even with a router and an internet access how many Gbites a video need by hour? for transmitting?
if i have 10 giga to use in a month how many camera can i connect?
how to calculte this?

Reaction score
According to the calculator I linked (http://www.stardot.com/bandwidth-and-storage-calculator <--in case you missed it) H.264 on high setting, 1.3 Megapixels, 15fps for 1 hr will use 1.9GB of bandwidth, 5fps for 1 hr will use 0.6GB, and that number will be higher or lower if you use variable bitrate instead of fixed. MJPEG will use a good bit more at the same settings, but the quality and characteristics of the image will be different.

Edit: Oh, actually I was looking at storage, not bandwidth. Unless I calculated wrong (kbps * 60s * 60m / 1024kb/mb /1024mb/gb), your bandwidth will be about 15.1 gigabits per hour, or about 1.75 gigabytes per hour with h.264 high 15fps.

Last edited by a moderator:

asco

n3wb
Reaction score
the provider is giving me 10 giga/month!!
so you think i ll consume them in 10hours???

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
actually you'll run out of data in under 6 hours.. sending cameras over 3G is never going to work.. and if you do manage to get it to work, your going to spend a fuckig fortune to see some very crappy low resolution images.

If your client dont have wired internet thats several times faster than 3G, then they are not going to be able to remotely monitor anything.. sell them a standalone, offline system or walk away from this job before you promise them things you cant deliver.