IP Camera MAC Addresses and IP Adresses

mem

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know why my IP cameras have two MAC addresses for each camera?
Is there supposed to be one IP address for each MAC address or one IP address in total for each camera?
I want to use this information in my router to reserve camera IP addresses so they stay fixed.
Thanks.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it also wireless? MAC addresses are for each interface usually.

mem

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
The four cameras are wireless. They can be used via WiFi or via direct Ethernet connection.
All four are being used as WiFi cameras in my case.
So far I have set static IP address for each camera using CMS software. For each camera IP address, this CMS software indicates only one MAC address in the "Remote Configuration" settings section. However, in "IP Search" of Device Manager in CMS, I find two IP devices for each camera, corresponding to the two MAC addresses for each camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep thats because they have 2 network interfaces (wired and wifi), all network interfaces must have a unique mac or else there'd be trouble if somehow it was connected with both wifi and wired at the same time.. switches/routers would not know which connection to use.

Ive had mac address collisions before, and man its a nightmare to locate and fix.. will wreak all kinds of havoc on your network.