IP Camera that is able to allow me to zoom in

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I see a lot of Dahua IP cameras, and am leaning towards buying that brand for the home. For turret type of IP cam, is there a specific feature that I need in the camera me to be able to zoom in when using the DMSS (IOS) app when viewing from my cellphone?

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
I am considering to put a turret inside my house. If my house is a rectangular shape, I will place this camera in one corner, and the door is in the corner diagonally across. I'd say the distance is about 8 meters. I'd like to be able to zoom in tight to the door and see the face of the person standing at the door. Do I need a turret with motorized lens? Or basic turret will do? Does turret without motorized lens do digital zooming via DMSS app? I will be accessing the viewing mostly on my iphone.

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am considering to put a turret inside my house. If my house is a rectangular shape, I will place this camera in one corner, and the door is in the corner diagonally across. I'd say the distance is about 8 meters. I'd like to be able to zoom in tight to the door and see the face of the person standing at the door. Do I need a turret with motorized lens? Or basic turret will do? Does turret without motorized lens do digital zooming via DMSS app? I will be accessing the viewing mostly on my iphone.
yes DMSS supports digital zooming using pinch to zoom multi-touch gesture, however is far inferior to lens varifocal or PTZ with lens optical zoom, there is no comparison between digital zoom to optical zoom. Digital zoom really degrades image quality, even when IPC sensor is 4K resolution. Always. Varifocal IPC mostly available on dome or bullet style camera's, and a couple of eyeball formats, for which Dahua make some really affordable varifocal's.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Dahua has added a varifocal to their 5442 turret.

But the downsides are that it will only zoom to where the camera is pointed. You cannot pan left/right, up/down like a ptz. Maybe you will be lucky and have the persons face where the zoom ends up, maybe not. In a small room, it might not matter as much.

Also, varifocals are not designed for frequent motor operation like a ptz is. You will risk things breaking or wearing out faster.

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
@Hazza06 I want to clarify, you mean varifocal lens allow optical zoom, while if not varifocal, will only use digital zoom, correct? Noted on the digital zoom. Quite the same concept as in handy cams.

Then again, my follow-up question is, since it's only 15 meters away (I checked now), using a 2 MP camera, will the quality be that inferior if using digital zoom? My main issue is the Tablet, or the cellphone is very small. I may have to zoom in to see the face better.

@Jessie.slimer Yes, I won't be using PTZ since this will be deployed inside the house, with just 12 Meters depth. Just want to add why I'm considering Dahua is because I can get it inexpensively. And it's actually a good brand by the looks of it.

Hazza06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Hazza06 I want to clarify, you mean varifocal lens allow optical zoom, while if not varifocal, will only use digital zoom, correct? Noted on the digital zoom. Quite the same concept as in handy cams.

Then again, my follow-up question is, since it's only 15 meters away (I checked now), using a 2 MP camera, will the quality be that inferior if using digital zoom? My main issue is the Tablet, or the cellphone is very small. I may have to zoom in to see the face better.
that's what varifocal is, optical zoom, like others have said, varifocal is really for occasional lens zoom adjustments, not frequent lens adjustments. And having a varifocal IPC, you get both digital zoom plus optical zoom. But again any form of digital zoom is inferior to optical zoom.

A subjective subject on sensor resolution, some say 2MP ok, but that's not my view for better image quality with extra detail, it is a known fact, extra MP means extra detail. Just bear in mind, many IPC in night mode or low light daylight mode, introduce quite a bit of noise ( quantization error actually ), which also degrades image quality...

jang430

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. I anticipate the grains in low light. I plan to introduce a lamp shade that turns in at night, to aid in low light :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk