IP camera using CPL (network over power) ?

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to install an IP camera at the back of my garden, on the garden house, but I had not foreseen network cable there, and WIFI will be difficult I think.
I was thinking about CPL to bring network there, would that be a solution ?
Something I need to pay attention at ?

If I had to choose a very good camera for outside monitoring the garden which I can connect to my surveillance station (Synology NAS), what would you recomment (Dahua, Hikvision, Foscam, ...)

I only want a night view and possibly wifi (but not mandatory) ....

Many thanks !!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're only looking for a night view, then look for a camera that uses the newer Sony STARVIS image sensors. These sensors are larger and capture more light per pixel, which makes the low-light image quality amazing compared to the grainy mess that most other sensors produce in the situation.

Dahua calls their cameras that have these sensors "Starlight", and Hikvision calls them "Ultra-low light". Dahua has a whole bunch of different models.. check the Dahua sub-forum here for a pinned post at the top, it lists a lot of them, with some having review threads on the forum here. I haven't seen any other named manufacturer using these sensors yet.

I don't have any experience with CPL, but I've seen it discussed here a few times. While you're waiting for responses here, try a forum search for "power line". Put quotes around the term in the search box, otherwise it will pull back posts that only have either "power" or "line" in it, which makes it hard to sift through. :)

fa355115

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok ... in terms of bandwith, how do I need to calculate it ?
the camera will be continuously recording on a Synology NAS .... is the bandwith calculated based on the camera resolution ?
For example1 Mega Pixel is ... ?

Many Thanks !