IP cameras to record barking dogs 24/7?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been dealing with this for around a year now too. Honestly I don't really blame the dog, although I 'm not a fan of dogs to begin with. It's the moronic owners. I swear, people who let this go on are demented beyond belief. I tried a civil conversation a couple of times along the way but it only changes the demented behavior of dog owners for a limited time. Usually in a couple of weeks they go back to being the demented people they are. A month ago I lost it after my nerves were shot and having been drinking wine did not help. Twice I went on a window shrieking tyrad about shutting the dog up. The owners didn't hear that window bellowing monologue, although I'm sure the rest of the neighborhood did lol. The second one they did and it was a good thing too because who knows what I could have done after that one. That window rant was serious and loud, thank you very much. That was a month ago. I think they got the message and then some. The dog still barks, as dogs will do. I'm not unrealistic. But they now stop it and take it in, in very short order. I think they sensed that someone was gonna get hurt if they pushed it any further. I don't recommend this approach though. It's just the one thing that got through to the demented minds of the owners. If it should start again, I will continually call the cops to their house. Demented dog owners will not win, that's for sure.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been dealing with this for around a year now too. Honestly I don't really blame the dog, although I 'm not a fan of dogs to begin with. It's the moronic owners. I swear, people who let this go on are demented beyond belief. I tried a civil conversation a couple of times along the way but it only changes the demented behavior of dog owners for a limited time. Usually in a couple of weeks they go back to being the demented people they are. A month ago I lost it after my nerves were shot and having been drinking wine did not help. Twice I went on a window shrieking tyrad about shutting the dog up. The owners didn't hear that window bellowing monologue, although I'm sure the rest of the neighborhood did lol. The second one they did and it was a good thing too because who knows what I could have done after that one. That window rant was serious and loud, thank you very much. That was a month ago. I think they got the message and then some. The dog still barks, as dogs will do. I'm not unrealistic. But they now stop it and take it in, in very short order. I think they sensed that someone was gonna get hurt if they pushed it any further. I don't recommend this approach though. It's just the one thing that got through to the demented minds of the owners. If it should start again, I will continually call the cops to their house. Demented dog owners will not win, that's for sure.
yes some people shouldn't be allowed dogs or kids that is for sure

Baja

n3wb
Reaction score
Well said Shockwave. It is not the dog's fault, it is the asshole owners that neglect them.

I ran into a similar problem with two neighbors that happened to get lab puppies at the same time. Kept them locked outside most of the day while they howled / cried to be let inside. One of them as early as 5am about 10 feet away from our bedroom window. I spoke with both neighbors several times and it would get better for a week or two and then revert to normal.

After a year I had enough and setup cameras with audio on 24/7 recording. Figured out how many hours per day, week and month each dog barked and filed the complaints. My county has a neighborhood justice mediation system in lieu of active enforcement by animal control. One of the neighbors instantly improved as soon as he was served, so I dropped his complaint.

The 2nd one made it to court. At first he tried to deny how many hours his dog was barking, so I pulled out a hard drive with 30 days recording, provided a date/time log of each occurrence and started playing a sample video on my cell phone. The funniest part is the neighbor made a comment about illegal recording, something a couple people in this thread have also parroted. The judge laughed and said he had no reasonable expectation of privacy outside his home and the only person breaking the law was him. He gave him a month to fix the problem or he would forward it to the DA and recommend criminal prosecution. Problem solved.

Jesonnek

n3wb
Reaction score
Attention Seeking: Dogs often bark when they want something, such as going outside, playing, or getting a treat.

Separation Anxiety/Compulsive Barking: Dogs with separation anxiety often bark excessively when left alone. They also usually exhibit other symptoms as well, such as pacing, destructiveness, depression, and inappropriate elimination. Compulsive barkers seem to bark just to hear the sound of their voices. They also often make repetitive movements as well, such as running in circles or along a fence.

How to Treat Excessive Barking
Maybe throw them a chew toy my dog barks at me when I get home he's only telling me I've been protective it's a hard one

Ironically he doesn't really bark when he's outside, normally only when someone walks by with another dog. That barking I completely understand. It's when he's in the house and constantly all day and night.

Dogtired

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting that a few people use the phrase, “dogs bark”, .... as if that is supposed to make it ok to let the animal bark excessively.

I own a car, .... “horns honk”, ... but I don’t leave my car alarm on with the horn honking.

Then there are the people who feel their animal is a person. Ok, ... I am a person, so, do you want me to give a shout-out to the neighborhood the entire time I’m home, ... “Hey! I’m in my back yard! Here I am! In my back yard! Now I’m about to sit down! HEY, I see you, I SEE YOU, I see you, and you I see you walking past my house! HEY! Now I’m gardening, HEY, I see you and YOU AND YOU AND YOU! HEY! HI THERE! HEY! HHEY! HEEEYYY!!! None of my neighbors want to share that much of my personal life with me. I like your dog - I do not like sharing your dog’s constant or intermittent personal expression ( barking ).

You might be able to tune it out, but those of us around you cannot.

Or, you might like the sound of a dog or dogs constantly barking. I might like to listen to JAY Z or The Rolling Stones full blast in my back yard, but do you want me to impose my personal choices on you while you might be trying to enjoy quiet time at home? Hey, .... “speakers produce sound”, .... perhaps I will simply use the same inconsiderate logic.

Reaction score
I’m currently dealing with a very similar situation and although I’ve talked with my neighbors they are either unable or unwilling to remedy the problem. The good thing for me is that there is a county ordinance that deals with nuisance barking but it falls on me to provide proof. So I’m looking for a recommendation on an exterior camera with microphone so I can start to compile all the evidence needed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

plainrude

n3wb
Reaction score
obviously you are not an animal lover, it's hard to stop a dog barking and almost sad that people feel the need to go out of there way to look for a barking dog doing nothing more than protecting they own little bit of land.

CCTV is designed for the protection of property and people not dogs in your neighbour hood. if your really upset by dogs barking, I would look at moving away from other people as dog are seen as man best friend and incase you didn't know they bark at things

This is probably the most inappropriate use of cctv equipment I have ever known.

Remember recording of audio is an invasion of privacy and will get you in more trouble than a dog barking.

First of all..... The initial post has absolutely nothing to do with being an animal lover!! I love animals more than I do most humans. But people that allow their dogs to bark hours on the end, is extremely frustrating and it creates a horrible quality of life... if you happen to be the neighbor backed up to them. I live in an area where we have many dogs, and of course dogs bark... but I have somebody that lives directly behind me that dog bark literally a 6-8 hours nonstop all day long, at nothing.... if a plane flies over, if a leaf falls off the tree. THE DOG BARKS AT AIR! I have video, massive footage from my phone both audio and video as the courts and my attorney said I absolutely from my home can record the dog barking and I do. THEY WANT PROOF!! I thinks we’re all clear, of course dogs bark, but NOT for 6 to 8 hours nonstop at NOTHING!! And when you file a civil complaint, the first thing they ask you, is for any and all documentation, video/ pictures, Statements from other neighbors etc. I am a nurse and when I can’t sleep for days on end ....and you want to tell me me recording a dog that barks all day long, literally is my problem and I should consider moving?!? I’m not sure if you’re just plain dumb or have some kind of serious mental issue. You can take legal action!! Sounds like to me that you’re angry somebody else has recorded your dog barking for hours on end. You’re not going on their property and recording anything. I am recording it right out my window that overlooks their backyard and there is nothing illegal about that!!! So, again this has nothing to do with the animal, this has to do with that I am entitled to some sort of quality of life and that I do not have to listen to that dog bark nonstop every day! They could put their dog inside, when they are going to be gone for 12 to 15 hours a day, so other people do not have to ensure hours of barking! Your opinion really doesn’t matter, but again this is not about the dog, it’s about the owner and they are total disregard for other people! And dog being man’s best friend, again has absolutely nothing to with this issue!
I will never get over you suggesting people should move because somebody else doesn’t have the common courtesy to do something about their constant animal barking!!! Dogs can bark for a few minutes most normal dog owners that really love their dog and are considerate will hear their animal and bring them inside or do something to control the barking. It’s not rocket science to figure out a solution to control majority of the barking!! If the neighbor was trying to control their dogs barking, I would work with them I am no longer working with them after years of the same issue.

plainrude

n3wb
Reaction score
Attention Seeking: Dogs often bark when they want something, such as going outside, playing, or getting a treat.

Separation Anxiety/Compulsive Barking: Dogs with separation anxiety often bark excessively when left alone. They also usually exhibit other symptoms as well, such as pacing, destructiveness, depression, and inappropriate elimination. Compulsive barkers seem to bark just to hear the sound of their voices. They also often make repetitive movements as well, such as running in circles or along a fence.

How to Treat Excessive Barking
Maybe throw them a chew toy my dog barks at me when I get home he's only telling me I've been protective it's a hard one
This isn’t about psychological issues of the dog this is again about the animals owners choosing to not do anything about excessive barking! We’re not talking about 10 minutes we’re talking about literally hours on end and I am in legal action against my neighbor after years of the dog barking 6 to 8 hours a day nonstop and these people that say it’s illegal.... it is absolutely illegal to record that dog barking... the first thing animal control and my attorneys asked me for was proof or documentation of the dogs constant barking!! If you read more, there’s people that say, oh...if you don’t like it, you should just move, thats got to be the most insane reply I’ve ever heard!

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excellent point. SO a useless endeavor. Perhaps earplugs? Or maybe go talk to your neighbor instead of being a chicken shit ass hole.

But I like dogs. And even if they bark.
Stop being mindless and interpret/comprehend what you've read. And if you didn't read his whole post, then move on and don't comment.

He did talk to his neighbor, as did others (says it in the very first sentence).

I love dogs. But a non-stop barking dog is definitely a nuesance. I bet if you love cars or motorcycles, you wouldn't want them racing down your street all day long without mufflers. Or you love music, you want people driving up and down your street at all hours of the day bumping their bass?

Think before you speak or attack others about their problems.

Reaction score
I’m currently dealing with a very similar situation and although I’ve talked with my neighbors they are either unable or unwilling to remedy the problem. The good thing for me is that there is a county ordinance that deals with nuisance barking but it falls on me to provide proof. So I’m looking for a recommendation on an exterior camera with microphone so I can start to compile all the evidence needed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Update on my situation:
I filed a formal complaint with my local humane society and they’ve notified the dog owners that they need to remedy the situation. The last 2 nights have been better but not great. I compiled all of my evidence first by using a dog barking app called Bark’n Mad that records audio and makes it easily reviewable. I simply start the monitor feature and put my iPad on my windowsill and let it record through the night.
I also used the Arlo wireless cameras to catch the dogs barking. I know the Arlo system has lots of negatives but they have worked for me as they are easy to move around and they also record audio. Between my constant audio recording and being able to match time stamped video I have undeniable proof that can be used in court if it comes to that.

Angel_Eater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update on my situation:
I filed a formal complaint with my local humane society and they’ve notified the dog owners that they need to remedy the situation. The last 2 nights have been better but not great. I compiled all of my evidence first by using a dog barking app called Bark’n Mad that records audio and makes it easily reviewable. I simply start the monitor feature and put my iPad on my windowsill and let it record through the night.
I also used the Arlo wireless cameras to catch the dogs barking. I know the Arlo system has lots of negatives but they have worked for me as they are easy to move around and they also record audio. Between my constant audio recording and being able to match time stamped video I have undeniable proof that can be used in court if it comes to that.
I'm happy you seem to making progress with the situation. I agree, just because you have an animal that doesn't have rational thinking, that doesn't give you a valid reason to be irresponsible or bothersome to your neighbors. Some of the comments others made were straight up idiotic. Like in many scenarios these days, the victims are being made out to be the bad guys. Shame on you stupid people, SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Also, thank you for sharing the tools you've found helpful with the community!