IP cameras vs analogue for motion detect, is IP cams in the camera??

wozzzzza

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
just doing reading up on this, I have an analogue setup right now fairly old, all the motion detection is setup in the DVR to record when there is motion.
do the hikvision cams and NVR, or any other IP camera brand have the motion detection setup in the camera and NOT the NVR? then when there is motion the camera tell the NVR to record? or how does it work?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi wozzzzza

There are minor and major kinda devices, a camera being minor does not have the capability of a major device... major being a something like BI on a pc or a dedicated nvr.

You can set up motion on the camera and record to built in media (if available) or can write to a network drive, or even a folder on your pc..

However a major / dedicated recording device can do the job with more bells and whistles and ignores what the camera thinks, but its all horses for courses & budgets.

Adkhik

n3wb
Reaction score
Personally I like to ensure there is no single point of failure. By using IP cams that allow for local recording based on various trigger events (motion, IR, etc) it allows you to assure that recording still takes place even in the event of a network failure or DVR device failure. It also spreads the processing back to each camera for the detection and reduces the network bandwidth overhead. For me the DS-2CD2432F-IW works well in this regard.

To answer your question directly - the DS-2CD2432F-IW and other similar Hikvision cameras process the motion detection on the camera itself and are able to send a notification to a central DVR when motion does occur. You also have the option of logging into each camera directly to view the recorded events (stored on the SD card).